Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R & D SHO rideplate ?

Hi guys! New here and just have a couple questions. I just installed the Riva stage 1 kit on my FX Cruiser SHO, one thing I noticed is how ridiculously off the speedometer is now. Stock it would read a max of 63mph which seems to be about right I think. Now the highest it will show is 47 . Obviously that can't be right, I was pulling my girlfriend on skis at only 9mph, lol. I'm borrowing my buddies GPS today but I'm wondering if anything can be done to get the stock reading half way accurate again? The new rideplate seems to really porpoise as well with 3 of us on it, I can trim it out to be better but I was surprised when they advertise "less" porpoising, stock was less.

Overall top speed "feels" faster to me, but it doesn't seem to accelerate as hard. On take off it hits the RPM limiter for a couple seconds then hooks up and takes off, stock it would just launch. Once you are moving it doesn't seem to pull as hard as it did stock, I'm wondering if I'm over propped? I have the RIVA / Solas Dynafly that I'm assuming is 13/22 (I didn't verify the actual prop in the kit) My top RPM is only 7,000 or so.

I ride at about 3,700' so I know I'm losing some power to altitude. Lake temp was 72, air temp was 80.

Thanks guys!

Get a GPS and a Pet Tach so you know how fast you are really going and what you RPM really is.

The OEM Speedo being erratic is normal especially with aftermarket plates.

Tach:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=308

+1
    Today I rode my SHO for the first time since installing the stage 1 kit. Your results mirror mine. Get a GPS, I did pick up 4.4 mph over the highest gps speed recorded before the kit was installed. The cavatation out of the hole, and speedo problems were exactly how you described. It didn't porpoise any more than before as far as I could tell, but I only rode solo today. I ran against a black FZS with the upgraded ECU and I got smoked out of the hole by at least 5 bike lengths and he had me on top end by about 10mph. I didn't want to spend the money for the aftermarket ECU, but now I'm not sure I can do without it. I want mine to run like that.

All this fancy stuff to "reduce cavitation"... sigh. Stock had the least cavitation, LOL

Did you guys cover/flushed the ride plate holes???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy29 View Post
    Did you guys cover/flushed the ride plate holes???
    No because I change my ride plate all the time depending upon the conditions I run in. I use the R & D for flat water and I put the stocker on for the wife and a modded stocker for me running offSHOre.

O ok my buddy just got the R & D and will be using it for the bay area do you recommened this plate for the salt water area??? and should he shim it??? if so where can he get the shims and where should he put them in front or back of the plate??? thanks for your advice...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOFun View Post
    All this fancy stuff to "reduce cavitation"... sigh. Stock had the least cavitation, LOL
    FZS here but I agree. My ski did not cavitate whatsoever until I installed my first mod (FF exhaust) and it has cavitated worse with each upgrade except the 13/22R. Still cavitates, though.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed. I might have picked up a few mph (don't know, never gps'd stock and now the speedo doesn't work) but I cavitate out of the hole which never happened before and the ski doesn't seem to be as responsive or pull as hard. The speedo not working is a real pain in the ass, it was always handy to be able to tell friends to pull skiers at 26mph, tubers at 21mph, etc.

Which prop would be most like the stock one, maybe slightly more? I'm thinking at my elevation I don't have enough hp to turn the 13/22r. Not sure why I can't trust the stock tach, it will read 76-7700 when I'm cavitating which is the RPM limiter, right? So if I'm maxing out riding at 7k then it's safe to assume I don't have the hp to spin the prop? Please tell me if I'm wrong

I'm probably going to remove the R & D rideplate and put the stock one back on. Anybody want to buy a rideplate with about 2 hrs on it? How about a Solas 13/22r with the same hrs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOFun View Post
    All in all I'm pretty disappointed. I might have picked up a few mph (don't know, never gps'd stock and now the speedo doesn't work) but I cavitate out of the hole which never happened before and the ski doesn't seem to be as responsive or pull as hard. The speedo not working is a real pain in the ass, it was always handy to be able to tell friends to pull skiers at 26mph, tubers at 21mph, etc.

Which prop would be most like the stock one, maybe slightly more? I'm thinking at my elevation I don't have enough hp to turn the 13/22r. Not sure why I can't trust the stock tach, it will read 76-7700 when I'm cavitating which is the RPM limiter, right? So if I'm maxing out riding at 7k then it's safe to assume I don't have the hp to spin the prop? Please tell me if I'm wrong

I'm probably going to remove the R & D rideplate and put the stock one back on. Anybody want to buy a rideplate with about 2 hrs on it? How about a Solas 13/22r with the same hrs?
    Whoa...you threw a lot of stuff out there.

The dash speedo doesn't work well with the R & D ride plate. The R & D plate loosens the ski up and would not be the ride plate of choice pulling tubes or skiers. The stock ride plate would be the best for that.

Ride plates need to be used for the conditions you are riding in. And the combinations of mods you have makes a difference too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information