Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Can Oil cap cause super charger problem?

06 RXP, dealer instaled metal washers at 40 Hrs. Now at 50 hrs. Cant get above 6400 rpm.
    Found oil filler cap off when I got in. Doesn't look like any oil came out or water got in.
    Can this cause it to act like the supercharger is bad or is the supercharger bad?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    when you set the slip installing metal washers ..they where in.. and need to be reset or at least checked at .. @10 hrs..you may just be getting more slip than you should

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by immred View Post
    06 RXP, dealer instaled metal washers at 40 Hrs. Now at 50 hrs. Cant get above 6400 rpm.
    Found oil filler cap off when I got in. Doesn't look like any oil came out or water got in.
    Can this cause it to act like the supercharger is bad or is the supercharger bad?
    I'm willing to bet they installed 04-05 metal washers into an 06 supercharger assembly. 6400 RPM is a sign that the supercharger clutch isn't holding at all.

OR, you had a washer break off the shaft

In either case just pull the hose off your supercharger and try to spin the impeller with your finger. If it spins you have work to do!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I'm willing to bet they installed 04-05 metal washers into an 06 supercharger assembly. 6400 RPM is a sign that the supercharger clutch isn't holding at all.

I was right! Ed, i just put new washers on your supercharger (the correct washers). You might have an 04-05 ski but this is an 06-07 clutch kit.
    The 06-07 washers are thicker than 04-05.

Your dealer had installed 04-05 washers so the clutch slipped from the get go. The worst part is that a piece of washer broke off from slipping and overheating. Your dealer should be able to fish the broken piece from the front oil pump screen.

Supercharger is on it's way back to you today.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-05.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	150509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-05 broken.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	150510  

+1

Super Charger repair

I was right! Ed, i just put new washers on your supercharger (the correct washers). You might have an 04-05 ski but this is an 06-07 clutch kit.
    The 06-07 washers are thicker than 04-05.

Your dealer had installed 04-05 washers so the clutch slipped from the get go. The worst part is that a piece of washer broke off from slipping and overheating. Your dealer should be able to fish the broken piece from the front oil pump screen.

Supercharger is on it's way back to you today.

Thank you
    Thanks for the quick turnaround. I don' dare take it back to the dealer; This is the 3rd repair out of 3 that they(Coleman Power Sports) has screwed up. I have the shop manual so I will attempt it my self. I got the supercharger out OK (with your directions). One question: The charger output hose clamp. Can I use a screw type or should I get the original type clamp?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Ed.

+1
    Any good quality SS screw type clamp will work perfectly.

asphalt, dirt, and water are my playgrounds. ViperRy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by immred View Post
    Thanks for the quick turnaround. I don' dare take it back to the dealer; This is the 3rd repair out of 3 that they(Coleman Power Sports) has screwed up. I have the shop manual so I will attempt it my self. I got the supercharger out OK (with your directions). One question: The charger output hose clamp. Can I use a screw type or should I get the original type clamp?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Ed.
    If you're talking about Coleman in falls church and woodbridge VA, stay away from them like the plague. Their techs are a joke and their service prices are beyond ridiculous. You'll also be lucky if your ski or trailer didn't get banged up by one of their employees trying to transport your ski (and of course it was there before you brought it in). You took the right step in choosing to work on the ski yourself. When you mess up, theres no one else to blame but yourself. I worked on all my cars and bikes, then got into skis. At first it looks pretty intimidating but its the same ball game, different field.

ETA: If you have to take it somewhere take it to a specialty shop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperRy View Post
    If you're talking about Coleman in falls church and woodbridge VA, stay away from them like the plague. Their techs are a joke and their service prices are beyond ridiculous. You'll also be lucky if your ski or trailer didn't get banged up by one of their employees trying to transport your ski (and of course it was there before you brought it in). You took the right step in choosing to work on the ski yourself. When you mess up, theres no one else to blame but yourself. I worked on all my cars and bikes, then got into skis. At first it looks pretty intimidating but its the same ball game, different field.

ETA: If you have to take it somewhere take it to a specialty shop.
    I've been to both Falls Church and Woodbridge; neither appear to know what they are doing.

I still have a broken piece of the washer to find. I did searches on this site but haevn't found any tips or procedures to get at the screen in the oil pump. Any help would be appreaciated.
    Thanks, Ed.

+1
    Ed, have a look at the exploded diagram in my OE parts store. Look under oil scavenger pump. that will give you an idea of what you are looking at.

The front screen is easy to get to on your ski. Just remove it and hope that you find the piece of washer there.

Now, i don't want to scare you but i have seen this happen. The broken piece of washer drops down between the timing chain and gear and damages the timing chain. If it were my ski i would pull the valve cover off and then rotate the engine very slowly and inspect every tooth on the chain. If that chain breaks while riding the ski you will have lots of bent valves.

+1

Ski back Together

Ed, have a look at the exploded diagram in my OE parts store. Look under oil scavenger pump. that will give you an idea of what you are looking at.

The front screen is easy to get to on your ski. Just remove it and hope that you find the piece of washer there.

Now, i don't want to scare you but i have seen this happen. The broken piece of washer drops down between the timing chain and gear and damages the timing chain. If it were my ski i would pull the valve cover off and then rotate the engine very slowly and inspect every tooth on the chain. If that chain breaks while riding the ski you will have lots of bent valves.
    Thanks Jerry; Got the supercharger back today. Installation went good. Took off the valve cover like you suggested; everything looked OK. Pulled the oil pump screen and found the rest (hopefully) of the washer(pic attached). "The front screen is easy to get to on your ski" I don't think anything on my ski is "easy" I think "easy" means probably doable as compared to "hard" which would mean "not a chance in hell". All in all it went well except for the two quarts of oil I put in the bilge because I didn't have the oil screen in right and the cover leaked. Not many good riding days left. Saturday should be nice so I hope it runs well.
    Thanks for everyone’s help. Ed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supercharger damage20.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	150926  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information