Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thrown off at 80mph hurts

There were a lot of people at the lake yesterday and the boats were keeping the water pretty rough. When I finally (after about an hour of riding) found some semi-smooth water to open the beast up I took it and went WOT for about 1/2 mile. I ended up catching a side roller wake compounded by a some other wake to get me luanched off. I remember a slight move right then a slight counter action left, and apparently that was enough. I ended up hitting my head a left shoulder a first impact, when I opened my eyes (I think I got knocked out for a couple of seconds) all I could see is white glow out of my left eye. My left arm and hand were floating in front of me but when I went to grab my whistle there was no movement.

I was able to flag down a boater and they got me safely in and then grabbed my ski to go back to the dock. I was in soooooo much pain that I couldn't straighten out my back. Life Flight (Helecopter) was called in, I was strapped to a baord with a collar, IV'd and given some pain meds. A 35 minute drive was only 4 minutes in the air to the hospital.

The out come is no broken bones, shoulder was dislocated, cuts on my brow and lash from the glasses and water behind my eye and over pressured ear drum. So basically I hanging with pain meds and trying really hard to get my muscles worked out, my eye is ok now (just a black eye) and my hearing is getting better.

Sorry for the long message.......pain pills rock!!

To all have fun out there and be safe.

wow that sucks bro, glad to hear youre ok though....

+1
    Glad you did not break anything. Were you @ lake Lowell?

I should stop doing gps runs in full superman then. Thanks for posting.

Feel better homie.

+1

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by inteljd View Post
    There were a lot of people at the lake yesterday and the boats were keeping the water pretty rough. When I finally (after about an hour of riding) found some semi-smooth water to open the beast up I took it and went WOT for about 1/2 mile. I ended up catching a side roller wake compounded by a some other wake to get me luanched off. I remember a slight move right then a slight counter action left, and apparently that was enough. I ended up hitting my head a left shoulder a first impact, when I opened my eyes (I think I got knocked out for a couple of seconds) all I could see is white glow out of my left eye. My left arm and hand were floating in front of me but when I went to grab my whistle there was no movement.

I was able to flag down a boater and they got me safely in and then grabbed my ski to go back to the dock. I was in soooooo much pain that I couldn't straighten out my back. Life Flight (Helecopter) was called in, I was strapped to a baord with a collar, IV'd and given some pain meds. A 35 minute drive was only 4 minutes in the air to the hospital.

The out come is no broken bones, shoulder was dislocated, cuts on my brow and lash from the glasses and water behind my eye and over pressured ear drum. So basically I hanging with pain meds and trying really hard to get my muscles worked out, my eye is ok now (just a black eye) and my hearing is getting better.

Sorry for the long message.......pain pills rock!!

To all have fun out there and be safe.

OMG! dude, I totally understand the pain involved coming off a ski. Glad to hear it was not worse. But this is another example of how falling off a ski can happen in a short period of time

again, glad yur doing ok. and to reiterate what you said, everyone please be careful out there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I should stop doing gps runs in full superman then. Thanks for posting.

Feel better homie.
    superman position is not worth the risk. You are not in control of the ski, you are only hanging on.

+1
    And one more hard learned lesson.........ANYTHING OVER 75MPH, WEAR A HELMET!!!

Glad to hear you're ok! Coulda been worse.

theres no difference between falling off at 75 than 80. Youre still going to get hurt. Prob a good idea to wear a helmet no matter what. I wear one when I ride my motorcyle.. and hitting water going that fast is just like hitting pavement.
    You just dont think to wear it when you ride your jet ski recreationally because no one else does... and you dont want to look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    superman position is not worth the risk. You are not in control of the ski, you are only hanging on.

Yep. I was at 79mph in superman on friday afternoon. I hit a little wake/ripple and slowed down and conseqeuntly my stomach and nuts took the impact. No, it wasnt worth it.

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    And one more hard learned lesson.........ANYTHING OVER 75MPH, WEAR A HELMET!!!

Glad to hear you're ok! Coulda been worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    theres no difference between falling off at 75 than 80. Youre still going to get hurt. Prob a good idea to wear a helmet no matter what. I wear one when I ride my motorcyle.. and hitting water going that fast is just like hitting pavement.
    You just dont think to wear it when you ride your jet ski recreationally because no one else does... and you dont want to look stupid.
    I totally agree on the helmet. I wear a neck brace, but should probably wear a helmet.
    Mark Trager and his son wore nice helmets at Mudbug. I would like to inquire on them

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information