Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K447 Help?

K447 Help?

Hey Man!

Im continually being amazed about your Knowledge of Polaris Skis!

You have helped me with my Fuel Regulator, then TPS and now I am looking for your help again!

Took my 140 MSX out for the first time in two months due to hernia surgery.. It was very sluggish off the line with no top end.. I have just replaced the TPS.. I saw your thread on how to read codes and had to try it.. IT WORKED!!!!!!

I recieved a code 12 TPS and 39 fuel Pump which I then checked to make sure I had the TPS on correctly and then checked the fuel pressure 29psi steady... When I put all my connections back together I noticed I had no gauges? I Used a resistorin my LED setup... I even checked the only fuses I am aware of the three 2, 15 and 10 amp cluster? Still no gauges.. Any Ideas?

Also I beleive that these codes may need to be cleared and for me to try it again.. Im sure you have a thread on here telling us how to clear the codes but I am yet to find it..

I would like to take it out and try it but concerned about overheating and no gauge to let me know..

Thanks,

Nizzi

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dubl-z View Post
    ... Took my 140 MSX out for the first time in two months... very sluggish off the line with no top end.

I have just replaced the TPS.. I saw your thread on how to read codes and had to try it.. IT WORKED!!!!!!

I received a code 12 TPS and 39 fuel Pump which I then checked to make sure I had the TPS on correctly and then checked the fuel pressure 29psi steady...
    29PSI seems a bit high, but within spec.

If you ground the Brown wire that connects to the fuel pump, the fuel pump should run with the engine off. In addition to the pump whirring, can you hear the fuel flowing/spraying back into the fuel tank?

Make sure the fuel pump connector is properly seated and latched. There is a little plastic slide tab that locks the connector in place.

When I put all my connections back together I noticed I had no gauges?

I used a resistor in my LED setup...
    What value resistor did you use?

I even checked the only fuses I am aware of the three 2, 15 and 10 amp cluster? Still no gauges.. Any Ideas?
    Does the code LED still work in the ski?

Are you sure you have fully re-seated that 12-pin connector into the back of the MFI?

It is very tight up under the hood, if that is where you connected the test LED.

Also I believe that these codes may need to be cleared and for me to try it again..
    The stored codes do not affect EMM operation. As soon as the problem cause is fixed, the EMM will be happy, and the engine will run properly.

I'm sure you have a thread on here telling us how to clear the codes but I am yet to find it..
    The same thread covers EMM code clearing, or links to the info.

I would like to take it out and try it but concerned about overheating and no gauge to let me know..

Thanks,

Nizzi
    Check that neither of the Reset circuit breakers are popped up.

You can use a volt meter to check that you have battery voltage at the MFI connector. Positive is Red/Purple (or Red/White), negative is Black.

Regarding engine performance, don't forget the basics;
    Compression, spark plugs not fouled, ignition coils grounded, coil ohms correct and primary wires connected, injectors plugged in, etc.

k447

Im on it.. Ill let you know..

[email protected]!#@[email protected]#

k447 Answers

1) I grounded the brown wire but it did not make the fuel pump run? I can still start the engine?

2) Resistor- 330 ohms 1/4 watt

3) 12 pin is fully seated

4) I have printed the service manual but am unable to locate the Reset circuit Breakers?

5) I opted to use the six pin connector under the hood in lieu of the 12 pin connector.. 12.23 volts..

Thanks

+1
    1) I grounded the brown wire but it did not make the fuel pump run? I can still start the engine?
    The connector was plugged in at the tank?
    You sure the Brown wire was really grounded?

2) Resistor- 330 ohms 1/4 watt
    That value would not cause a problem.

3) 12 pin is fully seated

4) I have printed the service manual but am unable to locate the Reset circuit Breakers?
    My bad - I was thinking of the Genesis/Virage. MSX 140 just has the three fuses inside the wire harness cap.

5) I opted to use the six pin connector under the hood in lieu of the 12 pin connector.. 12.23 volts...
    Is it possible the wire size you inserted into the six-pin connector was a bit too large, and the contacts are no longer firmly meeting the mating contacts when the connector was put back together?

Connector halves are properly and fully mated?

More Answers

K447:

1) Gauges Work!
    You got it! Even though I had used smaller wire it still pushed one
    of the pins to the side..

2) Took the ski out today.. No botton end (torque) Takes forever but finally gets to 64 65 mph at 6550-6750 RPM's

3) I will try and ground the fuel system again.. I remember when you had me do it for my fuel regulator it did run..

We are close.. it was going 57-59..before .. Just need that low end to comeback...

Let me ground the fuel pump again and get back with my findings..

I appreciate all your help!

+1
    ... 2) Took the ski out today.. No bottom end (torque) Takes forever but finally gets to 64 65 mph at 6550-6750 RPM's

... We are close.. it was going 57-59..before .. Just need that low end to comeback...
    Is it possible you have something stuck in the jet pump?

When you launch from idle, does the RPM rise rapidly, but the acceleration is slow?
    Or are the RPM also slow to rise?

Does it surge or miss, or just smoothly but slowly build RPM?

Any red lamp or warning messages?

Check the TPS installation, make sure the three metal pin contacts are mating snugly. If you still have the old TPS, see if that changes the acceleration problem...

k447-

1) When I launch it just takes forever to get to top end .. slowly the rpm's rise.

2) I did feel a little surging from time to time.. not anything big but mostly just slowly gaining speed.

3) No red lamp warnings

I will check the jet pump and the installation of the tps today.. Do you still want me to check the fuel pump? Is it possible the tanks building pressure for some reason.. I should have taken my fuel pressure gauge with me and checked while I ran it ..
    Thanks

May Have it!

k447:

1) I checked the TPS and believe you may have found the problem! The center contact has split and it looked like part of it was not touching.. When I worked it back together and started the engine I looked at the RPMs and it went to 7200.. I shut it down immediately..

It sounded like it had torque and not like it did previously..

Should I water test it?

or continue to check everything else?

+1
    ...I checked the TPS and believe you may have found the problem!

The center contact has split and it looked like part of it was not touching..

When I worked it back together and started the engine I looked at the RPMs and it went to 7200.. I shut it down immediately..

It sounded like it had torque and not like it did previously..

Should I water test it? ...
    Could you post some photos of the damaged connector?

If it is easy to take it to the water and test, that is what I would do.

On the trailer, the engine does not have a load, and will often rev up even if there is a problem. In the water, it will be easy to tell.

Make sure the 'fix' for the TPS will stand up to the engine vibration, or you won't be able to tell whether you have found the solution.
    Last edited by K447; 11-17-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information