Ultra 250X (2008) - FACTORY DEFECT - SEIZED MOTOR

So a while back I posted a thread because one of my 2008 250Xs wouldn't start. It and its twin had 18 hours. We took it in and after a month + of waiting to hear back we did. A Kawasaki rep came into the dealer as they were tearing it down, acknowledged it was a defective exhaust manifold (saying its too porous) and that allowed water to get into the cylinders and seize the motor. Since there are two I asked about the possibility of it happening with the other... "Eh, 50/50 chance" they said. Nice

As a heads up - which I think is BS after how much money was dropped on these and how well they've been taken care of + how little they've been used - Kawasaki says they're not doing a recall and will just treat each case as it comes. Imagine what kind of $$ this would cost out of warranty.

I'm sure someone here works for the dealer in town and will see this, or will be a Kawasaki representative, etc. If so, please shed some light on the situation.

Get the extended warranty. You dont want one of these skis without warranty. If something serious goes it cost more to fix than they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    Get the extended warranty. You dont want one of these skis without warranty. If something serious goes it cost more to fix than they are worth.

How do you think that those of us who do our own maintenance will fare in the case of a warranty claim? I had my dealer do my first maintenance @ 10hrs but then purchased an owner's manual and proceeded to do the rest of the periodic maintenance myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post

How do you think that those of us who do our own maintenance will fare in the case of a warranty claim? I had my dealer do my first maintenance @ 10hrs but then purchased an owner's manual and proceeded to do the rest of the periodic maintenance myself.
    You can do your own maintanance and keep records/reciepts, should not affect a warranty claim. Thats what i did, had dealer do 10 hour just to cover my self, then rest my self. I recently had an internal leak though and caused water in the engine. They covered under extended warranty. over $5,000 worth of parts and work, new supercharger, intercooler, etc. Yesterday took it out for a ride and after one hour of riding I have the same problem, so back it goes...
    Needless to say, if i didnt have the extended warranty I would be scrapping it. Ran great till the 100 hour mark, then

Again, according to the Kawasaki rep, they are expecting to see this arise in half of the 08s sold... Keep an eye out guys.

here is the part I dont understand with this. If the exhaust manifold was too pourous, would it not just leak as soon as you ride first time out? How could it get more pourous after 18 hours

Seems to me like they should replace the exhaust manifolds when the skis come in for service...or they can just keep replacing engines and what not. Smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    here is the part I dont understand with this. If the exhaust manifold was too pourous, would it not just leak as soon as you ride first time out? How could it get more pourous after 18 hours
    I was having a hard time with the explaination myself but thats what they're telling me. Hopefully it doesn't happen to my other one. Now the second (good) ski won't is killing its own battery... these things are just lovely.

Banned User
    I like Kaw bikes, but their waverunners were always a step behind Yamaha from the beginning.

Thread Information