+1

New North Carolina boating law 1-01-2010

North Carolina Senate Bill 43 was ratified by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Beverly Perdue last Friday. The law requires boaters born on or after Jan. 1, 1984, to be certified by passing a boating safety course before they can operate any water craft with a 10 horsepower-or-larger motor.
    The law pertains to all bodies of water in North Carolina and not just Lake Norman.
    Jeff Stewart of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 26 told the Lake Norman Marine Commission on Monday that the bill is a watered down version of the original. The auxiliary had wanted certification to be required for boaters of all ages with a $100 penalty for violators.
    The new law subjects violators to court costs only

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    North Carolina Senate Bill 43 was ratified by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Beverly Perdue last Friday. The law requires boaters born on or after Jan. 1, 1984, to be certified by passing a boating safety course before they can operate any water craft with a 10 horsepower-or-larger motor.
    The law pertains to all bodies of water in North Carolina and not just Lake Norman.
    Jeff Stewart of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 26 told the Lake Norman Marine Commission on Monday that the bill is a watered down version of the original. The auxiliary had wanted certification to be required for boaters of all ages with a $100 penalty for violators.
    The new law subjects violators to court costs only

+1
    I believe 1978 here in Michigan.

+1
    Jan 1 1982 or after you have to have one in ohio

Dam, here in Cali for most of the lakes you just have to be 16 to operate a PWC by yourself and a few have it that you have to have a license.

+1
    this is Marylands law:

In Maryland, the law states that anyone born on or after July 1, 1972, must possess a certificate of boating safety education in order to operate any motorized vessel. This certificate is non-renewable and must be carried by the student at all times while operating a vessel. Officers may or may not ask to see the certificate during a vessel check and, if not provided, you can be charged with a minimum of $25 for the first offense and up to $500 for each offense thereafter.

Also have to be 16 or older to drive a PWC

CT Requires a boating license for all power boats - all ages. Also need an extra PWC class and certification for jet ski's.

Can't get a basic boating licenses until you are 12, and a PWC license until you are 16 - both require you have someone over 18 onboard as well.

I just heard the fine up hear for not having your PWC license on you at all times is $120. (And get this- they use water based ink on the cards - so when you get them wet it rubs off??? - add another $10 for a new card).

Wow, it seems to me that the officals would be more interested in liability insurance coverage (especially now) rather than any other insurance coverage (like medical coverage)... Ron

+1
    I almost got hit by a boat this weekend while having the engine shut off with 10 other skis in the same manner around me in the key biscayne sandbar. A kid was driving the boat with 3 women on board. When I realized that the boat was not stopping I had to start my engine fast, put reverse and accelerate the hell out of my ski to get out of the way. Did not hit me by less than 2 feet, and it got worse after that he kept going while all the boats around were screaming at him to stop because he was going to run over the anchor lines of the other boats.

After things like this you want anybody that drives a boat to have a license and not just to pass a 4 hour class but actually have to do a driving test and make it as difficult as possible.

Thread Information