Thread: 01 GTX issues

01 GTX issues

So I tried to start my 01 GTX today for the first time in about 4 months, everything turns over fine but it wont start up. I was thinking it may be just needing to get fuel but after 10 minutes of trying to start it nothing still happens. In this process i decided to take the fuel filter off to clean it a bit, there was some junk in it but not a whole lot, put it back on and continued trying, after a few more minutes the fuel filter was still bone dry. Should it have filled back up or no?? Also there has been an ongoing problem of leaking oil, when we first bought it a new motor had to be installed within the first 10 minutes of riding the engine seized due to the oil line on the bottom of the front cylinder falling off. Since the new engine there have been no issues until now, now everyonece and inwhile there would be some oil floating around in the bottom of the hull but nothing to drastic, today after the 4 months of sitting I pulled almost 3-4 quarts out of the bottom of the hull!!!! I am contemplating tearing the whole thing apart to see where this oil is comming from but I only have knowledge of 4tec engines. Any suggestions????

-david

+1
    What motor do you have? The 720 and 780 motors are bad about the center crank seals leaking and letting oil into the hul. Check all your lines first to mke sure you dont have a leak and also check the oil tank-mainly at the seams to make sure its not cracked.You ay have a bad fuel pump-hence no fuel.

Im pretty sure its the 780, Just out of curiosity, how on earth do you check the lines at the bottom, i dropped a bolt down there today and couldent even get a hand in close. Should the fuel filter have filled up just from cranking??

+1
    Correct-cranking the motor over creates the vacume that pumps the fuel. Just out of curiosity-its not a GTX RFI is it?

nope not an RFI

If it is an 01 GTX Blue and Gray its a 951 or 947 . To get the bolt pick up the from and blast water under the engine and blow the bolt out the rear. The Needles and seat valves on the Carbs are stuck. You can try starting it on fogging oil or some type of external fuel and it might create enough vacume to pop the N/S free and keep running. Or rebuild your carbs. If you have gray fuel lines forget what I said starting it and replace the fuel lines and rebuild the Carbs then clean out the rest of the fuel system

+1
    Bob, even if the N/Ss were stuck closed it should still fill the filter bowl up.

Cranking should fill the fuel bowl and system (if the fuel it turned on, that is). There is a fuel pump on the front carb that works via vac, and pressure to pull fuel into the front carb, on to the rear carb, and the unused portion then goes back to the tank. If the N/Ss were stuck, the fuel should still flow, filling the bowl, but the engine would not run and the fuel would just be circling back to the tank.

The fuel pressure is only about 4psi max but it will still fill a dry filter bowl pretty quickly and you really do not need to prime the system (at least I have not had to, even with a dry filter and dry carbs).

You have a blockage somewhere. Either in the fuel lines themselves, or in the check valves for the tank.

If you are turning the fuel to "ON" try starting it on "RESERVE." Also, try taking the gas cap off and see if it will start (if the intake air check valve for the tank is clogged, it will not be able to pull fuel out).

Assuming that the new engine was put together properly (ie, the oil lines were clamped down like the are supposed to be, and not zip tied) the oil is probably coming from the oil tank itself. The tanks on those are notorious for leaking around the filler neck and or the seam of the tank itself if the tank is filled up too much, or the hull is tilted up in the front for a long period of time.

awsome information guys, thanks alot, im going to replace fuel lines today, I have read a hundred times about replacing gray lines but never even bothered to look to see if it has them, I spend all my time on the RXT, I will do those, and see if there is any change. Keep the Tips comming!!!
    -david

Thread Information