No spark on a 99 slx 1050

I've never worked on a Polaris before, have Yamaha's myself but I've got a good friends SLX 1050. Compression checked out at about 123 psi, but I've got no spark. I have no manual so any help with what parts to check with some diagrams would be a great help.
    Thanks
    Bill

+1
    Bill,
    The battery may have enough power to turn the ski over but may not have enought to give it spark. Put the battery on the charger overnight and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    Bill,
    The battery may have enough power to turn the ski over but may not have enought to give it spark. Put the battery on the charger overnight and try it again.
    I'll try that but I don't think that's the case. I've got it hooked to a large starter battery that came out of a diesel offshore boat,....... lots of cranking amps. Had a pretty stout charge on it, but it's possible your right. I'll check the voltage and put it on a charger.

Just checked the battery I was using...... it's showing 12.81 volts. Don't think that's it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    Just checked the battery I was using...... it's showing 12.81 volts. Don't think that's it.
    Voltage means nothing. You have to test it with a load tester.

Gotcha! Will try something else tomorrow. Getting late here now. No suggestions on other things to check if the battery is not the problem?

+1
    Could also be the stator but that is a pain. Try the battery first.
    Other members on here are much more knowledgeable than me but these are things I have run into.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    I've never worked on a Polaris before, have Yamaha's myself but I've got a good friends SLX 1050.

Compression checked out at about 123 psi, but I've got no spark.

I have no manual so any help with what parts to check with some diagrams would be a great help.
    Thanks
    Bill
    Welcome to the Polaris side

Battery voltage while cranking is critical, but what is really important is that the voltage right at the CDI must be over 10.5 volts, while the engine is cranking. Probe the Red/Purple and Black wires right where they go to the CDI, and confirm good voltage while cranking.

If the service bulletin PWC-00-05 has been applied, then the CDI Red/Purple wire is actually powered from the Orange terminals. This is OK, just be sure you are checking the correct Red/Purple wire connection.

Make sure the lanyard is in place, of course.

If voltage to the CDI is good during cranking, then you need to do some diagnostics.

The 1996-1999 Polaris domestic ignition systems had some reliability issues, so Polaris issued Update Kits. If your engine has the original ignition, there is a good chance the CDI or stator has failed. If so, the best option is to install the update kit, which is more reliable.

Check that the lanyard switch is working properly (Black/Yellow and Black wires to the handlebar). You can simply unplug the Black/Yellow wire to the CDI, and see if you now have spark.

The following pages may be helpful;

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

How do I tell whether I have an updated or original type domestic ignition?

How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Polaris domestic engine Ignition System Update Kits

All 1996-1999 two and three cylinder carburetor engines
    Kit part numbers 2873091, 2873022, 2873355, 2873356
    The original factory ignition in these engines was not reliable over time, so Polaris issued ignition update kits.
    '...It WILL fail eventually...'
    Each kit includes an updated CDI module, magneto stator, and for the two cylinder engines a new Ignition Coil.

You can check whether you already have the update by checking your CDI part number.
    Notes:
    CDI part number 4010885, may actually be 4010447 (900 & 1050 Ignition Update Kit 2873091)

Thread Information