Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need some pump help RFI

So I got out for the second time this summer on my 1996 XP and am at full throttle, when I hear a loud noise and it felt like I hit something. I stop the ski and my friend Scott comes over to see what the problem is. He asks me if I am supposed to have water coming out of my bilge outlet. By this time, I have restarted my machine and start heading for the shores of Lake Huron.

We pull the ski up on the beach, and have a look inside. The carbon seal is letting water in. We tip it over to have a look at the pump and everything looks fine. I fix the leak at the carbon seal and we put it back in the water. I start up the machine and I am able to go about 2,400 rpm's, just above idle and the ski won't go any faster. We are not that far from the trailer(at full throttle), but at the speed I could go it took almost an hour.

I pull the pump from the machine and the prop is sticking out about an inch from the pump. I took the pump apart(full of water) and check out what I found. Now remember this is an RFI pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00084.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	518.4 KB 
ID:	149255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4271.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	149256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4272.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	450.9 KB 
ID:	149257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4273.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	149258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4274.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	149259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4275.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	149260  

+1
    I should mention that the thrust bearing is gone. I also have a few questions.

1. The shaft doesn't have a lip on it? Is it interchangeable with any other models? I have a spare 951 pump.
    2. I am not sure if the cone is supposed to look like it does in the picture. I didn't want to pry on it until I was sure.
    3. What do you think happened? Did the bearing let go letting water into the pump or was the water already in the pump causing the bearing to fail.
    4. Are there instructions anywhere for replacing the bearings in the pump?

+1
    looks like you need a new shaft and pump with that much damage

+1
    The pump itself is fine. It is all the components that need replacing.

+1
    The shaft is supposed to have a lip on it.

In fact, the RFI pump's components look pretty much like the standard 140 and 155mm pumps in the diagram. I was under the impression that the RFI just used a bigger cone and a fat hub prop but I could be wrong.

That said, I have had one fail like that I would be curious as to just what the pump looks like. It is hard for me to see how it could have destroyed the thrust bearing and washer while wearing the flare off the shaft and not hurt the pump.

I think that what is jammed into the opening on the cone may actually be part of the shaft.

+1
    I threw 2 customer's pumps away this past summer w/ similiar damage-- but not as bad.

+1
    Here are some pictures of the pump. The piece wedged in the pump cone is metal while the cone is not so says the magnet. I can't get it out.

Yes, most of the components in this pump are the same as the one from my XP except the thrust bearing and cone.

I plan to rebuild this pump since they are a bit of a rare item and I really like it with the Concorde.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4283.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	594.6 KB 
ID:	149679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4284.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	586.8 KB 
ID:	149680  

+1
    Amazing. That pump should not look like that

Well, I think you are right that it should be rebuildable. One would think that deforming that thrust washer like that would have Fed up that pump too. I am pretty sure, then, that the piece stuck in the cone is the flare of the drive shaft. I am not sure how that happened, (well, I can guess in general terms, but the details are almost too strange to grasp) but it is the only thing it could be.

+1
    ok my turn. Because you said it had only been ridden a few times this yr I'd say the water was in there a LONG time. If and a big if your able to get the bearings out of the pump there might be damage from removing them. It's gonna take a lot of heat and some hammering to remove them. If they come out ok I'd attache some diferent sized wire wheels to a drill and see if the rest of the pump cleans up. Or a dremmel has small wire wheels too for tight areas. Your frt seal prob blew, but look at the old cone for cracks. before you install a new frt seal go ahead and use some lube and slide it onto the new shaft and break it in a bit before installing it in the pump, once installed they do get a tad tighter, IMO and when you push the shft thru do it with some lube and slowly

TLR

+1
    Even though I only got out on my XP a few times this summer, I didn't count the trip to Tennessee in the Spring. I ran it hard for four days straight.

It sounds like I should get the old bearings removed before buying any parts for the rebuild. That sounds like good advice. Thanks. Should I spray some PB Blaster through the pump before I take it to the dealer for them to remove the bearings?

I am not sure what part of the pump you are suggesting I clean up since it looks to be in good shape to me. I will get a picture of the front of the pump tonight.

I am going to keep an eye out for a good RFI pump in the meantime. It might be a cheaper and easier route to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information