2003 Polaris Genesis won't start.

Took it ou yesterday. Ran fine. Last ride of day would'nt start. When I hit start button I only hear the solenoid clicking. Just got it 5 wks ago. Battery seems new. Any help???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Find the start solenoid at the end of the heavy red cable from the battery, and short the two heavy terminals together with a screwdriver or pliers. It will spark, so use a firm hand, and do not short to anything else.

If it cranks with the solenoid shorted, then the solenoid is bad.

The black bodied solenoids are known to fail. The newer design brown solenoids are the better replacement.

If shorting the solenoid does not crank the engine, then remove and clean both ends of both red battery cables, and the black battery cable at the battery. Put them back on and tighten, then try starting the engine.

If still no crank, try shorting the solenoid again.

Next step is to measure the battery voltage with a multi-meter. With the meter connected, make note of the voltage, then press the start button, and see how much the voltage changes. If the voltage remains above 10.5 volts with the start button pressed, then the battery is probably good.

At this point, if it still will not crank, then the starter motor itself is the problem, or the Bendix starter gears, or the engine itself, or the impeller.

Do the above checks, and let us know what you find

BTW, did you get towed back when it would not start?
    Was it a slow tow, or fast?
    For a fast tow, did you clamp off the water cooling hose before being towed?

I'm currently working a very similar problem with a 2001 Virage TXi and just wondered if a battery charger could be used to supplement a lower than than desired battery strength while trying to determine if the starter and/or bendix is bad?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kejasi View Post
    I'm currently working a very similar problem with a 2001 Virage TXi and just wondered if a battery charger could be used to supplement a lower than than desired battery strength while trying to determine if the starter and/or bendix is bad?
    It is not recommended to connect any AC powered 'booster' or charger while trying to start the engine.

Best option is to install a known good battery. Next best option is to connect another strong spare battery in parallel to the main battery.

The least desirable method is to jump it from another vehicle battery. This runs a real risk of causing damage if the clamps slip or fall off, or touch something other than what they should touch. Do not have the engine running in the car.

These PWC electrical systems have been known to be damaged by electrical surges from other vehicles and chargers, so it really is worth while to simply buy a good quality battery.

The best battery would be something like the AGM Odyssey PC625.

That said, even a medium-weak battery should be able to crank the engine. It might not start, but it should crank.

Great info, thanks. I use the 625 batteries and have had great luck with them. I swapped the battery in the Virage for a different 625 and I can now spin the motor endlessly with the spark plugs out. But, when I put the plugs back in and try to start the ski, the starter engages for about 1 second and then spins, but doesn't turn over the motor. I'm just a little unsure if this is leaning toward the starter motor now or bendix. I'm guessing bendix but I suppose a problematic starter could still be the problem. Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thread Information