+1

slx 1050 electircal

My son just bought a 1999 SLX 1050. When the instument guage is plugged in it will bog at high speeds and seems like it is running on 2 cylinders. When it is disconected it works fine. Has anyone evry experienced this? Also, when the guages are plugged in they just flash and show no legible readings. Is there a way to reset it?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A bad MFD display can cause engine running problems.

It sounds like your MFD has failed, and needs to be replaced. There is a fix for a faded LCD display, but it doesn't sound like that is the problem here.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    when I was refeshing my polaris know-what here I came across a post on how to bypass the mfd limp mode featue ( sounds like that is what is happening here.

Guages are hard to find and expensive when you do. Unplug it, watch your oil and fuel levels like a hawk and try to pick up a new gauge over the off season.

Of course you'll want to go thru all of the electrics to be sure it's not a wring box issue.

+1
    Are you sure you aren't low on fuel or over heating?
    Red flashing light?
    Why wouldn't you guys leave the guage plugged in and just disable the rev limiter at the CDI until you find a replcement MFD?
    I'd at least like to know what else the guage has to offer in terms of information.
    SEARCH the tech section and you'll find the resetting procedure for the MFD.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Multi-Function Display (MFD)

How to reset the MFD
    aka CAL (calibrate) mode

Al is correct, of course.

If the MFD is issuing an RPM limit signal, you need to check whether there is a real problem that is causing that RPM limit.

Even if you cannot read the display clearly, you should make sure the normal reasons for RPM limit are not present;

Low Fuel
    Low Oil
    Overheat sensor
    (you should be able to hold your hand on the engine and exhaust manifold for a few seconds without burning your hand)

Not all models will RPM limit for all the above, but you should make sure none are an issue on your machine.

There is a wire inside the electrical box that carries the RPM limit signal to the CDI. It is typically Tan or Gray, depending on the model.

If you unplug the CDI connection for RPM limit, and the problem goes away, then you know something is wanting to limit RPM. Overheat (HOT) signal comes directly from the sensor on the engine.

The MFD issues the signal to RPM limit for low fuel or oil.

How to repair faded digits in oval MFD display
    Opening the sealed case
    Best places to cut the case open (Green or Red arrow, behind the black front lip)

Just don't cut too deep or you may sever the switch 'wires'

Repairing the LCD connection inside the MFD

+1
    Thanks for all the imput guys. I think it is a bad MFD too. The red light flashes even when the ski is cold. The gas and oil are both full and it definetly is not over heating. I guess we will watch Ebay over the off season and see if we can get one cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    Thanks for all the imput guys. I think it is a bad MFD too.
    I don't. I think if you find out why the red light is flashing you'll find your problem.
    Disconnect the over heat wire from exhaust manifold, start the craft and see if it stops flashing.
    While the red light is flashing, does it flash some other letters on the display at the same time??
    Just because the fluids are full doesn't mean the sensors are sending the correct values to the MFD. Check your values to the MFD before you decide if the MFD is bad...or plug a known good MFD into your wiring harness and see what happens.

Thread Information