oil consumption question...

Long story cut short. Did an oil change 30 hours ago on the RXT and RXP. I had the oil in between the two marks, but slightly closer to the bottom mark. RXP has been ridden hard since the oil change. Went out yesterday in rough waters. I was running about 3/4 throttle when a short beep came on. I looked down and oil flashed on the dash for a split second. I headed back to the marina. Warning and oil never flashed on the way in. Checked oil in the marina. It was slightly above the bottom mark. I added oil until it was in between the two marks, slightly towards the top mark. Had no issues the rest of the day. Checked oil level at the end of the day and it's exactly where I had it after I added oil. Catch can is dry.

I checked the RXT and it was on the low side. I added a little oil.

So my question is, is a little oil consumption acceptable in hot weather? Is this normal? Should I be worried?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Long story cut short. Did an oil change 30 hours ago on the RXT and RXP. I had the oil in between the two marks, but slightly closer to the bottom mark. RXP has been ridden hard since the oil change. Went out yesterday in rough waters. I was running about 3/4 throttle when a short beep came on. I looked down and oil flashed on the dash for a split second. I headed back to the marina. Warning and oil never flashed on the way in. Checked oil in the marina. It was slightly above the bottom mark. I added oil until it was in between the two marks, slightly towards the top mark. Had no issues the rest of the day. Checked oil level at the end of the day and it's exactly where I had it after I added oil. Catch can is dry.

I checked the RXT and it was on the low side. I added a little oil.

So my question is, is a little oil consumption acceptable in hot weather? Is this normal? Should I be worried?
    Kman I noticed with my X that i used about a quart of oil after nearly 50 hours of riding, i was a little concerned so i asked my dealer, he said it wasnt an issue and you can expect them to use a little. Still seems strange to me...

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Kman I noticed with my X that i used about a quart of oil after nearly 50 hours of riding, i was a little concerned so i asked my dealer, he said it wasnt an issue and you can expect them to use a little. Still seems strange to me...
    Sounds normal from what I have been reading. I guess I shouldn't be worried.

+1
    Yup, same thing happens with mine and others I ride with. More so with higher bost skis. Seems there is more blow by and consumes more oil. I typically change mine by the time it is time to add oil, but there have been times when I added a 1/2 qt here and there after about 20 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Yup, same thing happens with mine and others I ride with. More so with higher bost skis. Seems there is more blow by and consumes more oil. I typically change mine by the time it is time to add oil, but there have been times when I added a 1/2 qt here and there after about 20 hours.
    Good to hear. I ride mostly in the summer and it's 110+ degrees out and the water is rough so the ski is always in the higher RPMs.

+1
    Happened to me on my X. 30 hours since the oil was changed, was down from the middle of the bend to the bottom. I guess running at 8000 burns some oil.

+1
    You will find that you will start to burn oil when it starts to loose its viscosity due to being contaminated with fuel. With any forced induction engine you get blowby past the rings and over a period of time especially if you are ringing the neck out of it , its ability to lubricate decreases. Basically the more boost you run , or if you are in a hot climate the more often you will need to change your oil. Just my three cents worth!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper300 View Post
    You will find that you will start to burn oil when it starts to loose its viscosity due to being contaminated with fuel. With any forced induction engine you get blowby past the rings and over a period of time especially if you are ringing the neck out of it , its ability to lubricate decreases. Basically the more boost you run , or if you are in a hot climate the more often you will need to change your oil. Just my three cents worth!!!!
    Good to know!

Very good thread. I noticed my T-X was a little low before we had our NYC ride beginning of the month, added some oil to bring it up into the offset area and rode. Today getting ready to ride tomorrow decided to check oil again, it's low like I never added any. This is at about 45 hours on this oil change was concerned at first but after doing a couple searches seams to be common, just have to watch this boat I guess.

Thread Information