Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mystery leak

+1

Question Mystery leak

I am going crazy trying to find a massive leak and I need a little help please, because it is very elusive and I am at my wits end.... so please offer some good advice on solving my tricky problem.

First of all, let me explain the symptoms:

1. The leak does not occur when my 2003 GTX (Rude2, RR Intercooler) is just sitting in the water.

2. The leak does not occur when I am cruising along at around 40MPH. Nor does it occur when I am idling around the dock.

3. The leak seems to only occur when I am at WOT ( 8,000+RPMs). I know I am getting heat fade because the ski turns 8,350 when it is cold and about 3 minutes later I can only get 8,150 out of it.

4. The leak fills my hull to half way up the battery... and the water is HOT! ... which probably means that it is not coming through the hull or the drive shaft bushing... however, it might be.

What I have done to correct the problem so far:

1. I have tightened all hoses as best as I can. I tried the ski again and it leaked again of course.

2. I yanked the drive shaft and checked the clamps and bushings on the engine side of the drive shaft as well as the pump side. I tried the ski again and it leaked again of course.

I am thinking that it has to do with the intercooler? Cetainly the heat fade has something to do with the intercooler.

Thanks for you help!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Sounds like the carbon seal to me. The water is going to be hot because the engine is hot.

check to see if you have a split on the hose that is under the exhaust manifold, ive had mine leak there and same thing the water was very hot....just my .02

+1
    little more input....an 03:

what ecu are you running??cause if its the stock ecu,there's no way you should be at those rpm's

I have a 04 RXP that had a leak it turned out to be a broken exhaust elbow were it exits the hull. The previous owner had a leek and couldnt find it I found it while rebuilding the engine after water ingestion rusted the rings. Remove the top of the engine cover and grab the hose behind resonator and giv it a jerk then feel inside the nipple from the pump cavity for cracks. It was a long drawn out failure.

+1
    Has it overheated, or displayed high temp? my guess is a small split in the exhaust cooling lines, or coupler on the waterbox, or exhaust exit. I had a blockage in my Jpipe once, that caused the IC line to split, and fill the hull . It also caused the waterbox to melt thru the bottom of itself, almost catching the insulation on fire around the waterbox.

+1
    If it is hot water it is usually a leak from the exhaust somewhere ... pull the seat off and watch when you do a WOT run.

+1
    Better yet hold it WOT on the trailer at the ramp, and get a helper to help u look.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    little more input....an 03:

what ecu are you running??cause if its the stock ecu,there's no way you should be at those rpm's
    I am running a RIVA 8,650 ECU. I should be running around 8,550 - 8,600, but that's another problem I am trying to solve.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I have a 04 RXP that had a leak it turned out to be a broken exhaust elbow were it exits the hull. The previous owner had a leek and couldnt find it I found it while rebuilding the engine after water ingestion rusted the rings. Remove the top of the engine cover and grab the hose behind resonator and giv it a jerk then feel inside the nipple from the pump cavity for cracks. It was a long drawn out failure.
    Good idea and I with check it out. Question: did this problem show up during normal running, at idle, or only at high speed running? My leak doesn't show its ugly head until I really get on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information