Thread: Zinc for PWC

Zinc for PWC

Hi, I have already asked if I should leave my pwc in the salt water while not in use. I was told that it is a bad idea for several reasons.

Can I leave it in the water for a couple of days at a time.

I was thinking of getting a regular boat zinc and attaching it to the steering rod on the outside of the pwc with a copper wire will this have any affect? I was thinking that this would help in corrosion?

Thanks

+1
    You already have a sacrificial anode on the pump. If I were going to add another anode I'd hang it on the engine somewhere. The biggest problem is how ugly the internals of the pipe, domes cylinders etc. look after exposed to prolonged salt water use.
    Flushing is an absolute must after salt water use.

Hi, thanks,

If I flush the salt water out after every use and only leave it in the water for a couple of days do you think that will be okay?

Where would you suggest I hang the anode from in the engine compartment?

I was looking through the parts diagram from alljet.com and I couldn't find where the anode is located. I have a 96 sl700. You said water pump does that mean where the impeller is located?

Thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    ... If I flush the salt water out after every use and only leave it in the water for a couple of days do you think that will be okay?

I was looking through the parts diagram from alljet.com and I couldn't find where the anode is located. I have a 96 sl700. You said water pump does that mean where the impeller is located?...
    The factory sacrificial anode is bolted to the jet pump base, way under the rear deck. It looks like a small metal puck.

The anodes only work when they are directly and solidly attached to the metal they are to protect, and are immersed in the same water as the item being protected.

For the engine internals, that means another anode will only work/protect if the anode itself is also inside the cooling system. Polaris actually did this on the first year or two of production, on the early 90's Fuji engines.

The engine self drains the cooling water jacket when it shuts down, so there are only pockets of salt water sitting inside when the engine is off, and in the waterbox.

Nevertheless, salt crystals and surface corrosion will build up over time.

That is why frequent flushing and rinsing with fresh water and products like salt-away is strongly recommended.

In salt water, when you are riding the engine is breathing in salty air, so you actually have salt inside the engine just from the air. This is why you should fog the engine with fogging oil after every ride, to minimize the risk of rust damage to the engine internal bearings.
    Last edited by K447; 06-27-2010 at 10:23 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Hi, thanks,

If I flush the salt water out after every use and only leave it in the water for a couple of days do you think that will be okay?
    A couple days really won't hurt much just be sure to flush and of course fog the engine after final use for your trek.

I was looking through the parts diagram from alljet.com and I couldn't find where the anode is located. I have a 96 sl700. You said water pump does that mean where the impeller is located?

Thanks again.
    Item 32

Thread Information