Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'95 Superjet dies after 15 minutes.

I am having a problem with my '95 sj 701 that it shuts down after about 15 minutes of riding. No limp at all, just dies. It will turn over but not fire up. If it sits for a while it will fire back up. The longer it sits the longer it will run for once it starts back up. I am thinking that it is a heating problem but I don't think it is the temp sensor indicating engine overheat because it does not go into a limp mode. Is it possible that this model does not have limp mode and it just shuts down the spark? I don't have a flush kit on this thing so I can't test it at home. Runs fine the short time you can fire it up dry.

I spent the last couple of evenings trying to find a similar problem in the old posts. I found one that was the same ski and the very same problem. But, the guy never said what actually fixed his ski. In fact there are very few help me threads that actually say what corrected their problems. Very frustrating!! People, if you have the time to post questions about you problem, please post the results as well!! Rant over.

Anyway, here is what I have tried so far. First time it happened I assumed it was a fuel problem. I pulled the carb apart and inspected and cleaned. I found no junk in there at all. I replaced all the fuel line, the filter, and checked the on/off/res switch for blockage. All good. No pressure builds up in the tank either so the check valve should be good as well. I checked the compression. It was 150 psi on both cylinders. Oh, by the way, the ski is stock. No aftermarket parts on the ski except for ride plate and intake grate. I replaced the spark plugs because the fellow that had it before me had B7ES in it when it should have B8HS. After this work I took it to the lake. Same problem.

So next I thought cooling. There is water coming out of the pisser. You can put your hand on the head and it is hot but you can leave your hand on it without burning it. I have gone through the entire cooling lines and removed and blew through them. I removed the exhaust to ensure that there was no sand and junk it there. All clean. I still have the exhaust off. I need to replace a couple of gaskets there.

On the one post that was like my problem everyone was telling the guy it was the stator failing when it gets warm. So yesterday I removed the electric box and the flywheel cover. I tested the three coils with an ohm meter cold. All measurements spot on. I then heated the coils with a hair dryer and the resistance remained good.

That is where I am now with very little hair left on my head. If anyone has any suggestion please feel free to lay them on me. I am not a mechanic but am fairly mechanically inclined. Sorry this post is so long but I tried not to leave anything out.

Thanks in advance!

when it dies you need to see if it actually has spark,, coils break down and fail when hot,, but I would not think both of them. could be cdi box..

But lets see if you have spark when it stops....

Yeah, that has kinda been my problem is duplicating the problem at home. I need to install a flush kit and see if I can get it to fail there.

I found something last night that may be a problem. I resistance checked the coil and found a bad spark plug wire. And when I did have continuity I only had 2.1K ohms instead of between 3 and 5k ohms called for in the manual. Maybe bad wire and coil? I need to check that again tonight as last night I was in a hurry.

The battery didn't last long enough to test the 3 coils on the stator. New battery tomorrow and sending the ignition coil to JSS for plug wires. Will retest the stator when I put in the new battery in tomorrow.

shuts down

If it stops gradually check for an exhaust leak into the engine compartment choking off the air needed to run. If it dies suddenly it may be the cdi, I had a ski that the cdi died in it that way it would run fine for a while then just like pulling the kill switch it would stop. Good luck!!

I haven't actually got to ride it when it fails. I tore my ham string last time out on it so I am on the injured reserve for a while. Anyway, my son says it is just like the kill switch is pushed. It just dies and when turning over has no sputter at all. Just turns over. I will put the new battery in today and retest the stator by heating it up. My ignition coil was sent to JSS for new plug wires. It will be back on probably Tuesday. If the stator tests good and the coil/plug wires doesn't fix it than all that is left is the CDI or the kill switch. Slowly getting it whittled down.

Tested the three coils with a fresh battery. That old battery was definitely bad! I measured between the corresponding wire and the black ground going to the stator with it disconnected at the ebox. Here are the measurements: Charge coil: 24 vac Pulse coil: 4-5 vac, lighting coil (green to green): 5 vac. Does this appear to be weak? I have a troubleshooting guide that I printed off one of the forums that says the charge coil should be between 30 - 50 vac, pulse coil should be 4-5 vac, and the lighting coil between 6 and 10 vac. I'm close to the low end. These measurements were taken with a cold engine.

What a pain in the ass!

In my experience it will be your stator that is bad.

JSS coils are bad ass. I use them in all my skis and builds.

I have all the stators/cdis/etc. for you, if needed:
    http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?t=62008

Thanks Jetmaniac. I will keep that in mind. And yes, you are right, it has been a real pain! I got my ignition coil back from JSS yesterday and all I can say is WOW! What a true professional John is. I am going to put it all back together and try it again. If it fails this time my stator is taking a ride on UPS to JSS for rebuild. All I am waiting for now is exhaust gaskets to put that back together and go for a test ride.

I haven't forgotten about this problem. I got it all put back together last week with the new battery and coil/plug wires. It took forever for my dealer to get the exhaust gasket! So it looks like I will not know until next spring if this fixed it or if the problem is the stator. I would have loved to have found out before the season was over so I could fix over winter. Oh well. I just did not want to leave this post without a solution since in the original post I complained about people not saying what fixed their problem. I will resume in the spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information