Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Grate Trueing 101 for RXT's / GTX's

As many of us have encountered one of the biggest flaws on the RXT's and GTX's platforms is the way the intake grate (stock or Rivas Top Loader) hangs, not flush with the hull or the ride plate. Hanging anywere from 1/8 inch were it bolts up to the plate and about 1/4 inch were it bolts up to the pump shoe, and what happens after a period of time is that with the horsepower mods that we do, we subject what I believe is more water pressure being processed thru the intake grate which coupled with the nature of the intake hanging ( not being flush) has a tendency of putting force on the pump shoe inserts and pulling them out of the pump shoe bosses. It should also be noted that since the intake grate hangs then therefore its safe to assume that the inside rear portion of the grate is not touching or resting flat on the pump shoe ( hence a gap between the grate and the pump shoe). As you add the torque ( or eye ball it) after a pump shoe insert epoxy fix for some that have done this, I believe the inserts are being pulled out by the force of the water being scooped by the grate blades and once they are out or the pump shoe insert bosses are cracked then its just a matter of time before the inevitable occurs. Your intake grate will come loose and you'll notice one of the following:
    1. Intake grate detached from the pump shoe and broke the mounting tab on the riding plate.
    2. Intake grate detached from pump shoe and broke the mounting tab on the riding plate and snapped in half.
    3. Intake grate completely detached itself from the pump shoe, riding plate and forward mount.
    If your lucky nothing got sucked up the tunnel. Either one of the forementioned
    scenarios is enough to provide a cathastrophic situation to the rider and the jet ski. I will show you a practical solution to this dilema that will only require some basic skills and minimal cost. I will also post pics of how I did my fix. Here is just one example of the damage that occurs (this happened to me) . I will post another example soon. I will also post pics of the fix this evening ( I left my camera transfer cable at the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate 001.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	149509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate 027.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	149510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate 028.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	149511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate 030.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	149512  

The Culprid !

As viewed in my previous pics I had the displeasure of having to fix my ski , so I decided that my approach this time (after doing a previous epoxy fix) would be to replace the pump shoe, the grate and while at it install the new Riva open loop plate. Once all parts were removed according to the service manual and all residue of the glue was removed and the area cleaned I dry fitted the pump shoe to the hull taking the time to mark the alignment of the pump shoe. If you have shims for the pump shoe do not remove them from the hull as they will provide for alignment. I then dry fitted the new Riva open loop plate ( which aligned perfectly to the pump shoe and the hull ) and also dry fitted the new intake grate. At this time it was evident that the new set up was going to have the intake grate hanging again ( or not sitting flush with the ride plate, the hull or the pump shoe) I removed the riding plate but left the pump shoe still on with the intake grate and thats when I noticed it. The Culprid was the intake grate. The two outer scoop blades were the 2 mounting bolts go into the pump shoe were touching the walls of the hull thus preventing the grate from sitting flush with the pump shoe and the hull. This was only visible to me while viewing from aft - forward thru the pump shoe and hull tunnel. Its a casting defect on the grate guys. The fix is simple .

The Fix

The tool that I used was a flat file thats not to coarse to file down the edges of the ride plate to half the edges thickness and also file the triangle corner of the Riva grate that was touching the tunnel. The first pics are of the mock up of the grate on the open loop plate and bolted to the pump shoe. Notice how much the grate hangs.

Name:	grate fix 006.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	149594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 007.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	149595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 008.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	149596  

The mod process

This set of pics shows the areas that I filed using the flat file. The trick is to only file what is necessary in order to make the grate sit flush with the ride plate and hull. So dont go crazy filling, file and test fit. When your convinced of the fit stop. Dont file more than half the thickness of the edges on the rear portion of the ride plate were it mounts to the ride plate and pump shoe. The gloss black paint on the rear section of the ride plate denotes the areas that were filed.

Name:	grate fix 009.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	149599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 010.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	149600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 011.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	149601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 012.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	149602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 013.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	149603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 014.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	149604  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 015.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	149605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 016.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	149606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 017.JPG 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	149607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 018.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	149608  

Finish product

This last set of pics is of the final install. The grate was installed as per the manual and the required loctite was used as well as a can of Right Stuff to seal the edges followed by spraying of the sealant with some WD40 to provide a smooth looking seal job. Its worth noting that this was done on my GTX Ltd and therefore I believe that the mod will be the same with the RXT, also the grate that was modified was a Riva Top Loader. I dont know if this mod can provide the same results on the RXP as thats a different grate and pump shoe but I believe it is worth taking a look into . Also when filing the front corners of the rear of the grate and dry fitting, file until you can slide a credit card or similar item between the corners of the grate and the hull. If you have your inserts already being pulled and the pump shoe inserts bosses are cracked then face it, you'll be looking into a pump shoe replacement. Epoxing them back in is only going to by you a little time before all hell brakes loose on you and the amount of money that you'll end up spending will be grater not to mention the possibility of bodily harm. I hope that this helps some of you guys out there going thru the same situation. Caldo 101 just had his snap of yesterday and he never even noticed it. Good luck.
    This should be a sticky on the how to section.

Name:	grate fix 019.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	149609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 020.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	149610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 021.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	149611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grate fix 022.JPG 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	149612  

Great Job, KC!! Good information!!

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Great Job, KC!! Good information!!
    Thanks Larry. Roberts grate also went bye, bye this weekend.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    good job

hey that looks like mine

Here's mine. I took off more material....especially the leading edge at the rear of the grate.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information