Stuck Powervalve

I have a '99 XL1200 and my #2 powervalve is dirty as hell and stuck. The top end, where the pin goes through, broke off when I was trying to un-stick the powervalve. The shaft is stuck in the sleeve and the sleeve is stuck in the head. Any ideas on how to get it out?

I'd like to hear how someone is supposed to get them out too! I rebuilt my 99 xl1200 that "never" had any power valve maintenance. I tried to get them out the "easy" way, from the top. It didn't happen. I finally gave up, removed the cylinders & pounded them out from inside the cylinder using a 1/4" paint stick & hammmer.

+1
    PB Blaster, let it set for a while, work the valve up and down as much as you can so it can seap through. Keep spraying, moving up and down. Or do like he said, get you a stick or something to knock it out of the slot. You can torch it some to burn off some of the crud thats holding it in as well. Just make sure it doesn't catch fire.
    SHOOTER

I have tried the pb blaster way, it is still stuck. No movement at all. I think I may try to drill a hole in the valve shaft, tap it, put a screw in the hole and try to pull it out with a claw or possibly a slide hammer, but there probably isnt enough room for the slide hammer. Worst case scenario I have to pull the cylinder and drive it out anyways.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    When a valve is stuck on my ski I use the shaft of a long screw driver and with a rag between the shaft and the powervalve cover plate mating surface, pry the valve out by the pin. Since your pin is missing (broke) and the valve is toast, I would attach a small pair of vice grips to the shaft and pry up on those instead. This is VERY IMPORTANT.... do not pry up at an angle. The valve is meant to slide strait out so pry the same direction. Also be careful what you spray in the cylinder. If it is a fluid that breaks down oil, then you could contaminate the oil still in the case.

I tried drilling and tapping but the crap material the valve is made out of disintigrated while trying to tap it. I got three or four good threads in it and it just fell apart. Now there is nothing left to drill and tap so I guess I am back to where I was before, pulling the cylinder and driving it out. No loss, no gain, no worries.

Thread Information