Thread: Head work?

Head work?

is port and polishing my head by hand on my 06 rxp worth the time and money? does any one know what kind of gains i will see? and does any one know the stock flow #s?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by N8T View Post
    is port and polishing my head by hand on my 06 rxp worth the time and money? does any one know what kind of gains i will see? and does any one know the stock flow #s?

I have been told the gains on a naturally aspirated motor are larger and the time spent doing this on a forced inductuction motor isnt worth it. Miniumal gains at best.

Thanks joe, anyone else got some input?

+1
    I was just at my friend s's shop today tearing my engine down for a new head gasket and we were discussing this very thing. I thought that since the head was off it was a perfect time to do this, but he said the general consensus has been that not enough gains have been achieved to spend that kind of money on the head work.

Good to know, Thanks Gus.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I was just at my friend s's shop today tearing my engine down for a new head gasket and we were discussing this very thing. I thought that since the head was off it was a perfect time to do this, but he said the general consensus has been that not enough gains have been achieved to spend that kind of money on the head work.
    On my intake side you could reach in there and feel a lip that is grabbing air before it hits the valves. If you have the same just clean it up so there is a better transition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    On my intake side you could reach in there and feel a lip that is grabbing air before it hits the valves. If you have the same just clean it up so there is a better transition.
    those lips can be removed and better port flow transition can be achieved in ALL PORTS...couple sanding lincoln logs on the end of a dremmel and its OVER!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!

+1
    The factory flow numbers for the 4-tec head are phenomenal. Most of the gains from porting appear to be in the higher lifts. That said, I bet you could gain a fair amount of power if you port the head properly and match it to a higher lift camshaft, while also extending the rpm range.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    those lips can be removed and better port flow transition can be achieved in ALL PORTS...couple sanding lincoln logs on the end of a dremmel and its OVER!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!
    Hmm, probably cant hurt to do it since my head is already off.

there is only one spot on the head that there are big enoughs gains to be had to make it worth the trouble. Almost everyone that I've seen do their own has gotten greedy in this spot and F'd up their head. work on these 6 1 square inch spots and leave the rest of the head alone--no port reshaping, no polishing of the ports or chambers. If you don't know what you're doing, leave it alone.

Thread Information