Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what to remove glue under foot pads

i peeled all the foot pads off my ski a few days ago and began to clean today..i got all the glue under the hard stuff but the glue pilled off the soft ones and stayed on the ski, i tried a cleaner i have, goof off, wd-40, etc i think i need somthing stronger any suggestions?

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jplowman2005 View Post
    i peeled all the foot pads off my ski a few days ago and began to clean today..i got all the glue under the hard stuff but the glue pilled off the soft ones and stayed on the ski, i tried a cleaner i have, goof off, wd-40, etc i think i need somthing stronger any suggestions?
    I have used lacquer thinner and had some success. Just don't slop it on there b/c it may damage your finish. Heat also helps breakup the glue. If you are just going to put down hydro turf, get the pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) for the extra $20. It is worth twice that to not have to deal with the glue. Either way you should be able to apply the PSA over the old glue if you can get it clean and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by jplowman2005 View Post

Oh man, I have been working on mine doing the same for weeks now. I found the best way so far is just with elbow grease and a scraper and a little goo gone. Sucks.

thanks for the info, so far a little wd-40 with a fresh razor is getting most of it off then im just having to scrub the heck out of it to get the rest off

+1
    One trick I found that works great is get the Gel Goo Gone, spray it on good & heavy & leave it overnight. The gel type won't evaporate so it can be left to soak in, & after 8-10 hrs the adhesive will come off like butter.

I found that mine are almost completely clean after just a few years with the mats off.

I'm getting ready to try drywall mud (texture) in the heat. Years ago I was removing wall paper with wall paper remover, sponge and an iron (per the instructions). Gave up after 2 days of little success and just textured over the paper. Came back after lunch and most of the whole mess had fallen off - pulled the paper and the glue right off there. Was able to scrape the rest off with wet texture and a putty knife. I think it's because the texture gets pretty hot while it's drying. I'll let you know how it works out for this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    One trick I found that works great is get the Gel Goo Gone, spray it on good & heavy & leave it overnight. The gel type won't evaporate so it can be left to soak in, & after 8-10 hrs the adhesive will come off like butter.
    Sweet! I'm gonna try that out! Thanks!

+1
    Acetone is the best solution I've used. Peel as much of the old mats off as possible, then pour the acetone on and let it sit and soften. I then use a plastic scraper to remove the rest. The trick is to let the acetone to do most of the work. It still requires some elbow grease, but is by far the best chemical I've used to remove the adhesive.

Industrial strength goof off works wonders

+1
    3m adhesive remover worked well for me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information