Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

what to do, fix or buy rebuilt?

#3 cylinder had a textbook powervalve failure and im debating if i should fix it with $1000 worth of parts or buy an sbt rebuilt engine with a 2 year warranty for $2000. the motor has 100.2 hours on it so there is no telling when the crank or the other two cylinders are going to go. and i dont want to fix it and it just blow again due to some other wear and tear issue. so what would you guys do, i dont feel like doing a complete rebuild myself which is why i would buy one. and what else would i need to install a new engine? reeds, shims, etc? all input is welcome

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Rebuild it. Depending on the damage you might be able to get away with just having the cylinder re-coated. I would NEVER put an SBT engine in ANYTHING. Think of they way McDonald's put your burger together...... That is a great way to explain the SBT engine rebuilding process. Why do you think they offer a 2 year no fault warranty.

A) Their quality is so good it will never happen
    B) Their profit margin is so high they can slap another one together and send it out.

Seriously just fix it. Also these are two strokes they run hard and die young. And when they die they are EASY to resurrect.

^^^ what he said. They are really not that hard to rebuild. Pulling the motor is not hard after the exhaust is out of the way.

i know i can rebuild it myself, cause youre right it is really easy its just im looking at the cost difference i cant buy all the parts needed for a full rebuild as cheap as i can just buy one. i have heard about their quality which does have me worried. what would it cost for a full rebuild? (crank, pistons, refinish cylinders, reeds, gaskets)one cylinder needs to be replaced or welded and recoated i just cant seem to get past the costs

+1
    here's another option if you dont want to rebuild with existing parts....buy a good used motor here on the board for 1,200-1,700. take your motor out. drop the used motor in and piece out the old motor.
    just an idea.

im in the process of pricing things out, i sent crankworks and lowell an email explaining my situation and what not, but where can i find a good gasket kit for the rebuild? i dont need the upper exhaust gaskets just the manifold and all the others needed for the engine

+1
    boats.net is the cheapest oem new gaskets.

Banned User
    Best thing about having it rebuilt is you can go ported and/or big bore, which really wakes these engines up. Stock, the GPR is not impressive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    Best thing about having it rebuilt is you can go ported and/or big bore, which really wakes these engines up. Stock, the GPR is not impressive.
    he only needs to replace the piston, send the cylinder off to get repaired, send his head off to lowell to get repaired, gaskets, rings and maybe wristpin and PV.

im leaning more towards a new cylinder and three new pistons/rings and just treat it as a new engine and let it ride for a couple hundered hours hopefully.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information