Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RED Pot on EFI

Angry RED Pot on EFI

Hello chaps
    i dont want to sound THICK, however why is it the MOST people seem to set the RED POT setting to position 1.
    My theory, is if the ski is going flat out, WHY does it not need MORE fuel ontop of the stock fuel mapping to prevent seizure
    umm

+1
    all depends on the mods. T think that everyone here is using different red settings. I have seen most of the users here using 1's and 2's for non-ported applications and then 5's all the way wide ass open for most ported applications. Everyone seems to have a different sweet spot.

Ported users seem to have a high risk of seizure with the wrong settings and non-poted users seem to be able to try every setting with no chance at all to stick a piston.

Still a very good question. With the fuel controller celebrating it's 4 year anniversery, people are just now starting to figure the damn things out. Most are waaayy off in left field from what the directions say it's supposed to do. So most EFI control users are left on their own to figure out what needs to be where on the settings across the board.

I have run my 04 GPR on Red pot setting 1. previoulsy
    I ran the ski today, to ensure that i get 5000rpms on the last pot before the red light comes on. Ane the red pot was on position 4 i played around with the efi Red pot and this seemed ok

I think it will be quicker @ RED POT position1

Heres the problem
    i ran the ski flat out, i saw the tacho hit 7360.rpm, i guess the Rev limiter kicked in. ALL of the lights on the EFI went OFFFFFF the engine sound ROUGH although i was doing my tests with the seat removed,

Did the EFI go off as the engine shut down due to the rev limiter, i had to stop and restart the ski when i stopped --started the ski was fine
    My cylinders are Riva Pump gas ported, Tim Judge says VERY MILD JOB DONE?

My spark plugs are greyish, NOT coffee colour, i put this down to very clean Fuel 98 Octane (UK)
    I was scared to go to position 1 for fear of seizure

The ski has a SINGLE pecice Head gasket, and 3x 45cc RIVA heads NOT VERIBLE CHAMBER FULL RIVA STAGE 2

THE MAX SPEED TODAY WAS 69.9MPH
    Last edited by yamahajetpilot; 08-16-2006 at 04:40 PM.

+1
    what other mods do you have on the ski.

Plate/Grate/PPK/Prop/ ect..???

+1
    Still a very good question. With the fuel controller celebrating it's 4 year anniversery, people are just now starting to figure the damn things out. Most are waaayy off in left field from what the directions say it's supposed to do. So most EFI control users are left on their own to figure out what needs to be where on the settings across the board.
    EFI controller settings vary on engine mods and riding conditions. Also, the actual controllers themselves are not all calibrated the same. My 1 may be your 3.

+1

Lightbulb

YJP...I remember now...you are the guy running 1-3-1-3 on your controller. I have tried to record or store in memory all the different settings our board members have used, and I am convinced your controller is off calibration.
    This may not be a bad thing, especially since you seem to have some tuning abilities.
    I would like to get my hands on YOUR controller.
    If possible, swap controllers with a buddy or someone in your area to compare settings.

+1
    Gray plugs ?

WFO
    you were correct with the detalls you have for my ski.
    If i turn up the 1st pot its definately to Rich, It smells of Fuel and you can see from the puff of smoke

I belive the colour Grey on the plugs is due to the cleanliness of the fuel.
    I have wound the Red Pot up to the 9 oclock position, i seem to recall when i used VP race fuel on my old 03 gpr the plugs were similar

WHO WOULD TRY THE 3RD POT ON POSITION 1 BEARING IN MIND IT HAS BEEN THERE BEFORE.

MY QUESTIONS AGAIN ARE
    why is no 1 the most common setting, is it because at top speed/ rpm the YAMAHA fuel injection supplys enough fuel for top end
    i no the Rev limiter kicked in, but why did the EFI shut down all together, i had to stop the ski and restart

Heres the Mods
    04 1300 GPR
    Skat 14v set back pump
    SKAT Auto drop nozzle / reduction housing
    13-19 skat prop
    Full riva Stage 2
    3 x 45cc Riva Heads
    Girdled Hardware kit
    Riva PORTED cylinder
    r-d powervalves
    RIVA GP1300R RACE Flame Arrestors
    Single peice head gasket
    Riva Mech trim tabs ( right up out the way at present)
    R-D Sponsoons
    Carbon tunnel reinforcement done
    UMI steering

plus many other bits n peices

I accept that a loss in speed due to the 14v Skat, but still only 69.9 MPH

+1
    [Quote]MY QUESTIONS AGAIN ARE
    why is no 1 the most common setting, is it because at top speed/ rpm the YAMAHA fuel injection supplys enough fuel for top end[Quote].

You just answered your own question. Setting 1 on red = less fuel, which is what most of the non-ported people are using because the basic stock fuel mapping seems to be enough for the non-ported motors, so therefore there is no need to turn up the juice (it would most likely make it rich and not run it's peak rpms).

Ported engines move more air. And more air in the mix requires more fuel to have the proper AF ratio. So therefore the red dials are moved upwards till the sweet spot is found. I would not run below 5-red on a ported EFI motor - but that is just me.
    Evey ski will ask for a different mixture, including your 20% port job, but we are getting damn close to accurate on the initial guesses. If one is working out for ya on a slightly ported motor, then i say run it, but check your rpms and plugs. I am sure you have already tried to richen #3 dial up to see if you increase rpms??? But with that prop "as-is" and hitting the rev limiter - your testing is finished untill you get a taller prop. You may find that you need some extra fuel, or you may see that you are fine right where you are.

As far as why your ski shut-off, i have no idea. It sounds like an electrical thing going on, but i am not familiar with that stuff. It very well could have hit the rev limiter, but i don't know what the consequenses of that could be. The engine may not have liked that very much.

One thing is for sure - you need a taller prop my friend.
    Last edited by ABBOTT; 08-17-2006 at 10:33 AM.

+1
    WFO is a good one to reply to this sort of thing. Oh, I wanted to ask you -are you running the free flow or stock sound supression on this boat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information