2008 STX-15F Re-call

Great site! I am new to this forum and find it very useful so far. I have a question about my 2008 STX-15F gas tank recall. Has anyone had this recall performed on their ski? If so is there anything I need to watch for after I get it back. I just wasn't happy to hear that the dealer had to pull everything out of the hull to perform this task and that it is about a week turn around! I am just real particular about my toys. Thanks for your input.

BWS
    Last edited by Big Willy Style; 09-08-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Wrong Section

It does not take long to perform. The flag hours to do the recall is 4.5 hours. That is pulling the motor, tank and replacing. No big deal. We just did one of our sales units.

Thanks for the encouragement. It just didn't sound to promising while I was at the dealer. I am suppose to get it back tomorrow!

Anyone that says they will pull and install my engine in 4.5 hours isn't going to lay a finger on the machine, I'd let it burn first. I might let them pull weeds on my lawn though

I expect quality wrenching and not rip and tear. There is just too much stuff to do, most competent technicians would take more than a day. Remember when they installed the engine the fiberglass top was off allowing for very easy access and so tidiness was carried out easily for best reliability. Torquing hardware in a confined area takes time; as does gasket cleaning, wire and hose routing, cleaning before loctite application. Then the oil and fuel mess has to be dealt with along with run ups and leak testing.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    I expect quality wrenching and not rip and tear. There is just too much stuff to do, most competent technicians would take more than a day.

RT
    Reality is that that's what most of us (if not all) want, but you know that's gonna happen out there.

I would keep my eyes on following possible problems after picking up the ski when riding.
    > Cooling water leak.
    > Oil leak.
    > Exhaust leak.
    Basically above are all due to loose fasterns like hose clamps, bolts & nuts.
    Run ski at various rpm and go buddy riding instead of you alone.

Also, when taking the ski for the recall, make sure the fuel tank is as low as possible.

+1
    My friend told me about this recall becuase he has a 15-f....He basically waiting till october to get the problem fixed. Tank hasnt leaked yet so I guess roll the dice for a few weeks.lol

Thanks again for the reply's. The dealer told me that they are averaging about 11.5 hrs to complete the job and not to worry. I have had great success with this dealer when it comes to maintaining my 34' cruiser and they know how much of a neat freak that I am and attention to detail. I am going to call them tomorrow and see where they are at, my only concern was getting the gas tank on time! I will ride with others until it passes the test and I feel positive.
    BWS

biggest thing on these things when you pull/drop engine is exhaust manifold leaking, thats what I would keep a watchful eye on....

Well the dealer stood by the date that they gave last week of one week. Everything looks good and looks like it was never taken out of the hull. The test will be either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.

BWS

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    There isnt much to pulling an engine out of a ski, 4 motor mount bolts and a few wire clips and the exhaust, Id be more worried if a tech couldnt R/R a motor in less than 4 hours............

Thread Information