Carb tuning shops in MD?

Hey all, how goes it? My Ski finally runs! 1995 SLT 750, Two new pistons, cylinders and heads, triple fuel pump, oil block off, carb rebuilds, boysean power reeds, vortex F/As, BPR8ES plugs and some TLC later, and she runs.

I have never tuned a 2 stroke, much less a 3 cylinder 2 stroke before... It was cutting out when I punched it from idle, I managed to get that to go away, and she is now waaaaay faster than she was before with a lot more umph off the line. However I thin kshe is runing way lean, and I cant seem to get the idle below 1200-1400 rpms. Idle screw is as far out as it can go without the idle degrading and the ski stalling. Low speed jets are 3/4 turn out each.. If it was 1 cylinder I know I could figure it out but 3...I would rahter pay someone competent who has worked on these before to make sure it wont blow again.

Does anyone know of any shops in MD, or is anyone on here that does side work in MD, that have worked on theses older SLT750s? I have seen shops in the phone book but have heard horror stories of people paying for a tune job and them doing nothing or making it lean as hell...

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanace1 View Post
    Hey all, how goes it? My Ski finally runs! 1995 SLT 750, Two new pistons, cylinders and heads, triple fuel pump, oil block off, carb rebuilds, boysean power reeds, vortex F/As, BPR8ES plugs and some TLC later, and she runs.

I have never tuned a 2 stroke, much less a 3 cylinder 2 stroke before... It was cutting out when I punched it from idle, I managed to get that to go away, and she is now waaaaay faster than she was before with a lot more umph off the line. However I thin kshe is runing way lean, and I cant seem to get the idle below 1200-1400 rpms. Idle screw is as far out as it can go without the idle degrading and the ski stalling. Low speed jets are 3/4 turn out each.. If it was 1 cylinder I know I could figure it out but 3...I would rahter pay someone competent who has worked on these before to make sure it wont blow again.

Does anyone know of any shops in MD, or is anyone on here that does side work in MD, that have worked on theses older SLT750s? I have seen shops in the phone book but have heard horror stories of people paying for a tune job and them doing nothing or making it lean as hell...

Idle should be between 1,200 and 1,300 rpms. So you're probably close enough.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Spend some time reading here,you'll walk away with a good understanding on carb tuning.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15473

Honeslty I have spent days and days reading through how to tune. Tuning the low circuits I was told to turn the lows up until idle increase and then back off 1/4 a turn, I just couldnt get the idle to change when tuning just one carb. I am just not understanding how you can tune each cylinder individually when regardless they will all spin at the same pace. I just dont want one to be lean or rich, and end up where I was before with holed pistons...and I dont want to have to purchase 60 dollars more in head gaskets to check piston wash...I also dont really have the ability to go WOT and stop on the water, open the seat somehow and pull the plugs to check that either... Plus my little mazda wont get me too far into the water to test on the trailer...and I have no test tank lol...and time is running out in the season, I would really rather just pay a good tuner to be sure and have some sort of garauntee...

Plus my manual says idle should be ~750 I believe, or at least I know its under 1000

Hey Seanace1,

I live in Ellicott City too but keep the ski in Oceean Pines. I don't know the first thing about carb tuning tho--sorry. Aside from a dealer, I think you will have a difficult time finding an independant PWC shop anywhere near ellicott city.

I recently took my ski to Waterways Marina in Ocean City and was satisfied with their work. I've heard good things about their neighbors Bayside Jet Drive as well. Both are around 52-54th streets in Ocean City.

Well actually the ski is in Salisbury, MD, so I could take it to either shop. I have talked to Bayside jet drive and they seemed more interested in trying to sell me a new jet ski and convince me this one is worthless, even though it was just fully rebuilt and runs fine, just needs fine tuning

Sorry to hear about what bayside jetdrive told you. I have never actually had them work on my ski. If you want to check out Waterways Marina they actually have the same hourly rate as Bayside Jetdrive and give a 10% discount to first time customers. Just make sure to mention it After they give your bill. A forum member works there, RXPBLAST. You could try reaching out to him. They have been in business since 1984, so I'm sure someone there has worked on an old carburated ski like yours.

Oh and by the way, I graduated from Salisbury too.

http://www.waterwaysmarinaoc.com/wwm_service.htm

Thread Information