Wont run faster then idle...

I have a 93 Yamaha Waverunner 500. It starts perfect but when you give it gas it does nothing and continues to idle. I was told that I have the wrong CDI box installed. I just got this pwc and want to get it road worthy.

I have done a little legwork and found that I need a 6K8-85540-11-00 cdi. Does any one know where I can get one of these cheap? Would this cause my problem?

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    By does nothing you mean there is NO reaction. No bog, acceleration, nothing? If that is the case are you sure the cable is attached. Wrong CDI or not if you introduce more air to a carb you will see some kind of response.

I found this place for parts for older wave runners: http://www.babbittsonline.com/

I know this might sound stupid, but did you check your throttle cable? Sounds like it's either broke or disconnected to me.

throttle cable has to be off ,,, if the butterflys are opening the engine running right will rev,, running wrong it should stumble and die

dghal your avatar is hard to ignore.

Here is video of what it does. When it bogs down (like you guys said it would) I am pressing the throttle. The cable does move and it does open the butterflys. I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIN View Post
    dghal your avatar is hard to ignore.

[/url]
    Yeah, but don't you kind of feel like you might go to hell if you keep looking at it?

That almost sounds like it's choking itself off, but I'm not a mechanic.

+1
    Time to go through the carb, fuel system...clearly a "bog" there....

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Time to go through the carb, fuel system...clearly a "bog" there....
    Cleaned the fuel tank, replaced fuel with known good. Cleaned the carb, came off another working ski.

+1
    Try this....as you start to rev the ski....try applying the choke and or add a small amount of fuel to the engine via a primer and see what happens

<

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. What size carb do you have on the machine? I believe the 500's came with a Mikuni 34mm (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) If its clean like you say, you might have the jets set wrong. Too rich or too lean could do what your video shows. Turn them all the way in, then turn them both out about 3/4 of a turn. Start from there and see if there's a change in throttle responce. I think there's a post here somewhere that helps you set the jetting, but I'm not sure. I just ceaned and rebuilt the carb on my 1988 Waverunner and had to do some trouble shooting with setting the needles just right. It took me a few runs on the water to fine tune it, but I got it running great now. Good luck!

Thread Information