Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Another ski in the Armada!!!

Well, I picked up another ski today. I had wanted an SL so I could have a more playful ski, but I found this '94 SLT750 locally for a great deal. The engine turns over but isn't getting fuel. I haven't looked at the pump, but it lets the engine spin freely, so at least it's not locked up.

The guy bought it this spring, rode it a few times and it never did run right due to fuel delivery problems. I looked at the MAG piston through the plug hole and there doesn't seem to be any melting. I'll tear into this winter and get it running at top notch. Next season, the wife and I will be able to take all 3 boys at the same time!!!! Woohoooo!!!!!

BTW, does anyone have a lead on a good double trailer.......for cheap of course. The trailer on the ski isn't that great, so I'll probably convert that to a lawn mower trailer. But the single trailer on the SLT780 is a nice Karavan trailer, so I'll sell that one.

KJ

Last edited by johnsonmtz; 09-12-2009 at 06:32 PM.

there was a bunch of steals on jetskis & trailers in the st louis area which is where I found my virage. relatively close to you...check craigslist.

otherwise I have had several doubles come my way for around $500 if you wanted to drive up quad-cities way.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Nice score! do a compression check, it might be good to go if nothing was damaged. Posting your location Mount Zion, IL 62549 might help you with a trailer. I'm too far to help. Good Luck.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Looks great....

+1
    So far the list of things to do looks like this:

*** Clean the hull. Yikes There's about 15 years of crud in there that's never been cleaned

*** Check compression

*** Install 3-outlet fuel pump

*** Rebuild Carbs

*** RE-plumb carbs for triple pump

*** Replace OEM fuel lines

*** Replace flame arrestor with OP F/A's or one from a 780

*** Install Bilge pump

*** Clean or replace Fuel shutoff

*** Install plastic protector between battery and E-box.

*** Re-route wiring. The stator wires and everything going into the E-box is looped around all kinds of weird stuff.

*** Check stator wiring condition. The main stator harness has a spot on the plastic sheathing that looks a little melty. Hopefully it's not shot. I'm charging the battery now so I'll be able to check for spark later, but I'm guessing the lack of the plastic protector may be the culprit.

*** Check MFD functionality

*** Re-cover seat

*** Get a new front compartment basket (mine is missing)

*** Drill second drain hole on starboard side of hull

*** Install thread-in type drain plugs

*** Go premix?!?!?! I'm not sure on this one. Part of me says do it and be safe and my other ski is also premix. But then again, if I just replace the lines and make sure they're secure it should be good. Was the oiler in '94 variable ratio or was it fixed?

I think that about does it for now. I doubt I'll get this all done this fall, but I didn't really plan on riding the ski this year anyway. Ideally I'd like to get it to fire so I can run it for a bit on the trailer and get the engine fogged. Then, this winter I can dive in and get it looking and running great.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Nice plan. Looks good to me.

honestly I would go premix if I were you...since the other one is already, it's just one less thing remember to bring with you by not having to have a gallon of oil sitting around.

it does look like it is fixed (non-variable) oil pump on the 94 slt750 though. if you were thinking of upgrading to variable pump a new one is ~$220, and I would only get a used one off of a very low hour ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tenjuna View Post
    it does look like it is fixed (non-variable) oil pump on the 94 slt750 though. if you were thinking of upgrading to variable pump a new one is ~$220, and I would only get a used one off of a very low hour ski.
    Well, if it's a fixed ratio oiler then I'll definitely go pre-mix. Why not have peace of mind knowing the oil is mixed rather than wondering if the oiler is working.

KJ

+1
    Okay, so I know I should be out riding in our beautiful weather, but the wife wanted to have a yard sale today. Meh, we've made some cash and cleared out a lot of stuff, so it's not all bad. Also, while she tended the store I messed around with the new SLT750.

UN-FLIPPIN-BELIEVABLE
    I stuck the handy dandy compression gauge on there.......120PSI dead even on each hole

Okay, that was fun, so what about wash and cylinder walls I stick my LED light in each hole, great wash on PTO and CEN, MAG was a little black but with the OEM single outlet pump that's not a surprise. I could see crosshatch in the walls of each cylinder

So what about spark?? First off, they had some junk Champion plugs in there, so I pulled the extra set of BPR8ES plugs from the 780 to check. Yep, lightning on every one of 'em.

I had been spraying fogging oil in each carb and plug hole just to make sure everything was coated well until I get a chance to really work on it. Well, I had put the plugs back in and forgot I had left the lanyard attached from checking spark. I hit the start button to suck in some more fogging oil and.........

VROOOMMM Bwap Bwap!!!!!! The crazy engine fired on fogging oil.

Holy Canoli!!!!!!!!! I really think if I just get the fuel upgrade parts, replace the lines, and tidy up a few things this ski will be in tip top shape!!!

Oh, did I mention that I looked through the intake grate and the impeller and wear ring ARE FLIPPIN PERFECT?!?!?!?

Man, I really think I got the deal of the century on this baby!!! My only problem now is stopping myself from diving in and getting this all done right now

KJ

+1
    Nice a diamond in the rough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information