help: fx 140 oil light keeps coming on

i have a 03 fx 140 and you can ride it for about 15 min. and then the oil light comes on and it goes into limp mode. after a few mins you can start it up and it does the same thing. i double checked the oil but it does have what it should because i just rebuilt the motor and added what the book said for a dry motor. i took off the top of the oil tank off and started it up on the trailer and watched how the oil was going in and out. it seems like it takes the oil a little faster than it returns it for some reason. the last time i got the oil light to come on i did the self test on the gauge and it came back 01. if the oil pressure sensor was out it should pull up 38, if i'm not mistaken. when an oil pump fails on these, would it still pump back in the tank pretty good? any help would be great.

could it be the oil strainer in front of the oil pump. does anyone else have any experience with these probs. i hate to pull the motor agian for the hell of it but i'm running out of things to check. it has 25 psi when you start it up cold and it goes as high as 50-60 psi when you run it but it can go as low as 5 psi at idle.

+1
    I am not familiar with this motor but it does not sound good. I take it the pressures quoted are with a master gauge. Does the oil filter have a bypass built in? More than likely nothing to do with your problem just throwing this in the ring.
    Because you have just rebuilt the motor and if you asked me for a guess given the information supplied I would say you have left some plug /dowel out that is spilling oil or you have excessive clearance on your main bearings (did you replace these? and if so did you flexi guage all of the journals?)

Dont forget you also have the oil pressure reulator to consider as well. Oil pump clearences, Internal restrictors left out the list goes on.

I am no expert but I thought you may appreciate some feed back to your predicament(we all do care)

Cheers

thanks for the info it helps to have another head or two, i did replace all of the main and crank bearings. i bought the head use from a guy on the sight but i did not plastigauge the journals on the head because i was told it was tip top. i am going to check there next and then check the strianer going to the oil pump but i think the pump and sensor are both fine.

+1
    there has been a post in the past about and internal oil line coming loose and droping pressure as the revs rise
    i think from memory that it was a u shaped pipe that bolted to the block somewhere internal
    i think was the same problem the hire skis were having when they were blowing at 400 hours

kev

i was just in the motor so i would think it is fine but anything can happen. have you ever seen the strainer in front of the oil pump get clogged bad enough to cause a loss in pressure?

+1
    it was part no 21 in the crankcase on the online parts list
    it supposedly looks fine but moves when oil pressure increases

kev

thanks for the help, i will check that out as soon as i rule out everything else that is easy to get to. have you ever seen the strainer in front of the oil pump get clogged bad enough to cause a loss in pressure?

Thread Information