Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 GTX DI vs 1998 GTX RFI

My cousin has a 1998 GTX RFI and claims its faster than my 2002 GTX DI. I know his probaly handles better and that the 2002 DI is slower than the rest of the DIs. So, if i raced him who would probably win?

+1
    My money is on the DI. Put your money on the table and let us know what happens.

I sure hope so.

+1
    If I was racing you and I had the choice I'd take the RFI, smaller hull less weight, etc.

TLR

+1
    The '02 GTXDI is the 4tec hull with only 130hp. The GTXRFI is the 2nd Gen GTX hull which is 6 inches shorter and quite a bit trimmer (though the width is nearly the same) and lighter with 110hp.

I think he is going to win.

The fastest '02 GTXDI I have seen had a pump wedge and the OPAS had been removed and it just managed 55 on the GPS with barely any gas in it. I clocked a bone stock one at 50.5 a year and a half ago.

I think your cousin is going to win, though not by a whole lot.

I did the math and the GTX DI weighs 60 more lbs. and had 20 more H.P. So that is 3 lbs. per added horse.

+1
    I didn't realize the DI was the 4Tec hull. That makes a big difference.

Get rid of your opas and put on a pump wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I didn't realize the DI was the 4Tec hull. That makes a big difference.

Get rid of your opas and put on a pump wedge.
    I know that it could benefit from those upgrades. I was looking at the weight of the 2010 RXT-X 260 compared to the weight of the RXT-X 255 and the 260 weighs 50 lbs more. So if they 5hp=or>50lbs shouldn't 20hp=or>than 60 lbs. Also isn't the purpose of the direct injection system to improve acceleration?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXDI View Post
    I know that it could benefit from those upgrades. I was looking at the weight of the 2010 RXT-X 260 compared to the weight of the RXT-X 255 and the 260 weighs 50 lbs more. So if they 5hp=or>50lbs shouldn't 20hp=or>than 60 lbs. Also isn't the purpose of the direct injection system to improve acceleration?
    The purpose of the DI was to improve ease of operation, reduce emissions (the big reason) and reduce fuel consumption. These were all selling points for the DI.

The DI is not anymore powerfull than a carbed 947 and if anything, they tend to be a bit slower than the same hull with a stock carbed 947.

That said, the extra 60lbs is not your only problem with that '02 GTXDI. The hull is not only heavier, but it is larger as well. There is more wet surface on the 4-tec hull than on the Gen-II GTX hull. It is not much, in terms of lenght, but when you are talking about drag, in water, it is quite a bit (drag is a coefficient, after all).

In the end, this is all just keyboard work. Go race it, let us know what happens. I am interested to see what happens.

In the spirit of keyboard competition, I will say that regardless of the outcome against that RFI, I am confident that you do not want any of my '02 GTX (the carbed GTX that year was the last of the Gen-II GTXs).

That is a boat that is six inches smaller, 42lbs lighter, and has the same HP ratting. With Proks and jets she has run 60 with one bar showing.

Anyway, I just kidding with you. Run the race and see what happens. If I were you, I would wait for the windiest, busiest day on the lake I could find. A Gen-II does not ride the rough quite as well as a Gen-III GTX.

Were on the Lake of The Ozarks. That won't be hard. He's also complaining about his being a little lethargic lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information