Yamaha SUV Sat with Full Tank of gas for 10 months What to do?

Aloha,
    I have just bought a Yamaha SUV that has been stored for 10 months. The Ski had just had the Carbs rebuilt & was ran 2 times. It was then stored in a garage with a full tank of 93 octane 10% Ethanol Gas for the past 10 months. I bought it & Siphoned off what I thought was the full tank, (The hose went in as far as I could push it in & siphoned until it caught air) but only got about 5 Gallons of Fuel out. I did not realize how big the tank was nor could I see the fuel level due to it being dark in the garage. I then filled the tank with 5 gallons of fresh Fuel & took her out & ran her. She seems to run fine. But I am now reading threads & am getting paranoid about doing damage to the carbs due to varnishing old Fuel. What should I do? Should I siphon out all the gas & put in new fuel? How can I get to the remaining fuel in the tank? How can I clean any varnish / water out of the bottom of the tank? I have read that I need to blow out my lines.. etc. I have also read to just add sea-foam or stabil & just run it through. I would appreciate some good advice.
    P.S I live in Hawaii & the ski was stored in a garage where the temp was from 80 - 90 degrees.
    any advice would be great thanks!!

Put a can of seafoam in it and run it.Is it running good now?It doesnt take long to run a tank of gas out fill it up again and run the seafoam and some new gas through it.

+1
    try to siphone more out. if you got all you can out fill it up with gas and run it out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What about the carburetors?

Old gasoline does loose octane, but the carbs are what I would be concerned about. 93 octane fuel started out several octane points higher than what the engine needs, so it may still be good enough.

Sta-Bil will not improve or restore old gasoline, it is meant to keep fresh gas from going stale.

SeaFoam seems to work for some people, but that fuel tank is rather large, so you might need a lot of SeaFoam to have any effect on the carb internals, if they have become varnished or gummed up.

Gummed up carbs can cause lean burn down of the engine (melted holes through the pistons), sometimes quite quickly.

Before it was stored away, was the engine well maintained?

Do you know when the carbs were last taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt?

How hard have you ridden it since you got it?

+1
    If it ran fine, I would not worry about it. Carbs don't go bad after sitting for a year. Been done many times with no ill effects. Just run it.

Before it was stored away, was the engine well maintained?

Do you know when the carbs were last taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt?

How hard have you ridden it since you got it?[/QUOTE]

I would say this is a very well maintained ski. The engine was rebuilt within the past 2 years & not run much. It was a back up ski for a professional Tow surfer. He took very good care of it. always cleaned it well with salt away & the engine looks like new. The carbs were rebuilt just over a year ago. As I said I took it out for about 30 min. I was pretty gentle with it. I did get her up to full speed for a bit but was not pounding on it.

I guess I am wondering if I do Siphon out the gas should I be worried about cleaning out the tank with a rag or something? As I stated I had a hard time getting a hose down to the bottom of the tank. Is there a better way than to go in through the main screw cap? I am considering disconecting the filler hose & going in that way. Should I be looking for anything in there white varnish or sludgy looking stuff???

The Ski did seem to run Fine. but I would prefer to spend $60 on a new tank of gas than $$$ on carb rebuild.

Should I worry about blowing out lines?

thanks guys

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    If it ran fine, I would not worry about it. Carbs don't go bad after sitting for a year. Been done many times with no ill effects. Just run it.
    Just go ride it. It is a Jet Ski not the space shuttle If you are really worried about the added water in the gas from the 10% ethanol, Just get as much as you can out and fill with new gas.

Have FUN

Just drive it. Don't fix what ain't broken.

$.02 worth....

I'd take care of it by ridin the heck out of it... no sense in worrying about "what if's"... Its a "BOATTT", u know its gonna break down eventually, just try and have some $$$ in the bank and a good attitude that your gonna fix it right the first time.... Hope this helps... Yea, I know, I've got a bad attitude!...

Thread Information