Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski Bogging with Advent

I just installed my second Advent on my GPR with GK 1390 BB kit and I have a severe bog. I know it is not my jetting and Greg at Advent insists that it is not not Advent CDI. The first unit worked alright at first but then began to bog. The 83 curve (stock) bogged badly and the 84 curve ran well. Eventually I was not able to turn the motor off with either the stop switch or by pullling the lanyard. I put the new second Advent in and the ski last weekend and still had the same problem accept I was able to turn it off with the stop button. hardly run beacuse of severe bogging. I put in the stock CDI and everything works perfect. Greg (Advent) tested the unit and said it checked out fine. I have the exterenal timing switch and the ski bogs severly on the Yamaha 83 curveand hardly runs. The 84 curve runs a little better but still boggs badly. Any suggestions?

+1
    Checked your popoff lately?

Carbs checked out perfect and ski runs perfect with stck CDI. The bogging has something to do with the Advent.

+1
    I ran into the same type of problem a couple of weeks ago. Swithched out Advents just like you did. Both started ok and bogged as the day went on. My engine even refused to stop like yours till I disconnected the battery.

I went and cleaned all of the electrical connections in the electrical box AND on the wiring harness toward the bow of the boat. I used carb cleaner and then chased it with grease on each electrical connection. The only common denominator I found was that the bogging occured after I started getting stupid in the water cutting hard ruts and soaking the hull.

Your bogging may be a symptom to a problem and not the problem itself.

I hope the problem is this easy for you to fix.
    Last edited by salty; 08-18-2006 at 11:11 AM.

I put the stock CDI in today and now my ski has the same symtoms it did with the Advent. I do not know what is going on?

+1
    OK, lets see if we can all come up with an answer. We need a better description of what it does wrong. Does it bog out, then rev out ok after the bog? then its lean on bottom and mid. Do you have the stock choke plates still in? If you can, try applying about half the choke WHILE its bogging, and see if it likes that. If it does, then its time to re-build those carbs, drill the restrictors, and install a 90 main jet in the return line for common fuel pressure on all 3 carbs. You need to find what it wants before you can fix it.

The ski boggs throughout the rpm range. Sometimes the power will kick in on top and then bog again. I've tried applying the choke to add more fuel but that makes it bogg worse. The ski ran perfect the weekend before I first put in the Advent. The first Advent bogged badly with the 83 (stock) curve and ran awesome with the 84 curve. I have not touched the jetting. I think I may have a voltage problem? I'm going to take readings with a multi meter tomorrow. I have an XLT1200 here that I may swap the whole electical box from to troubleshoot the problem. All 3 plugs look the same after riding for a while.

+1
    I would leave the stock cdi in until the problem is fixed. Check the battery ground on the engine block, put a wrench on it. Unplug all electrical connectors and look at them real good with a magnify glass, are they clean and tight?

+1
    I have an XLT1200 here that I may swap the whole electical box from to troubleshoot the problem.

That is a good idea. Then will will know if it is electrical or fuel related.

Well today I swithced complete electrical boxes with my XLT1200 and I still have the same bogging problem. It has to be carburetion! I did some more testing with the choke and was able to eliminate some of the bog by putting the choke on half way. It's just so coincidental that the bogging started when I first tried the Advent! I'm still missing 350 rpm's on top.! This definately tells me that my ski is starving for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and that did not fix it. The only thing left is the individual filters inside the carbs. The jetting was set up by Group K and has always ran perfect.

Any more suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information