Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage TXI code issue

I have gotten just about everything corrected and running. I am now needing some information on Codes.

I am getting error code 43.

What do I need to do to correct this issue?

Thanks Beerdart, I read that after I posted this question. My mech is looking over the exhust lines to see if they are pinched or blocked.

My next question, will the system drop out of SLOW mode or do I have to reset the whole unit?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The EMM will resume normal operation as soon as the problem cause goes away (unless the EMM itself has been damaged).

The codes will be stored as reference, but will not affect engine operation. In some cases, the engine may need to be shut down for a minute to allow the EMM to settle down.

Code 43 may mean the water cooling of the EMM is restricted, and the EMM itself is getting too hot. The EMM is cooled by smaller water hoses that run through the stator cover, the EMM, then out the back of the hull, usually right where the exhaust exits. Make sure those small hoses are not pinched or kinked.

Or code 43 may mean the sensor on the engine exhaust water jacket is getting too warm.

Remove and check the water injection mesh filter and orifice on the exhaust pipe. This is the small hose that runs from one place on the exhaust pipe to another. It injects water directly into the exhaust flow to cool it.

If it has become blocked, or the entire water cooling system has a problem, check the large rubber hoses in the exhaust for damage. If they have become too hot, they can fail internally, and block the exhaust flow, reducing engine power.

Also check the entire cooling system for clogs or kinked hoses. Check the cooling water inlet screen inside the jet pump nozzle. It can be hard to see the mesh screen inside there on the right side, but it must not be clogged up.

Also remove and inspect the thermostat assembly.

If necessary, connect a garden hose adapter to the 3/4 water inlet hose that normally connects at the base of the jet pump, and run water through the engine in the normal direction. With the engine running, you can confirm that water is actually flowing, and the engine and exhaust are not getting too hot.

Sequence is always;
    Engine start, then water on
    Water off first, then engine off

This prevents water from back flowing into the engine the exhaust system.

You may find this useful;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Exhaust water injection - Check and clean the mesh filter screen and orifice

+1
    Check to see that the sensor wires havent rubbed through on the retaining clip where it picks the heat from .You will see what I mean when you get to it .Check the value with a meter .Specs are in your manual

Bernie

Thanks for the help guys,

I just talked to the mechanic and he said that he has cleared all the code errors and just wants to run in a few more time to see if anything else crops up. I will not be able to put it into the water until Sunday.

I will let everyone know what happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KanBama View Post
    ...just wants to run in a few more time to see if anything else crops up.

I will not be able to put it into the water until Sunday.

I will let everyone know what happens.
    Check that exhaust water injection screen and orifice, if the tech hasn't already. Takes only a few minutes to do.

Polaris is still a NO GO

Well. I took the Poalris out yesterday. Things did not go well. The wife did not even make it up the ramp before I had her back it back down.

Fo those of you why have extensive knowledge on these type of issues. Please feel free to send some more advice my way.

This is what the mechanic has done so far.

Pulled the top end. the pistons where clean so he replaced the rings.

replaced the fuel sender unit and all of the fuel hoses. cleaned the injectors.

He said we are getting 150 lb pressure on the pistons and I beleive he said the fuel pressure was at the perscribed pressure (250lb I think)

He looked over all the exasust system and cleared the codes (43).

Not this is what it is doing to me on the water.

Starts up fine and run fine. (I did not pay attention to the RPMS until after I got going in the water) After I unloaded it and hit the throttle it does not get above idle speed. With me on it (230 lbs) it was only getting to 2800 rpms. After I loaded it on the trailer it woould get up to 3500 RPMS and the little red light would start blinking.

What I did not get this time was any code flashings on the screen or the "Check Engine" message scrolling across the screen. Just the red light flashing.

So after this long discription, I need to know what to check next. Any help will be great.
    James

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KanBama View Post
    ... Starts up fine and run fine. (I did not pay attention to the RPMS until after I got going in the water)

After I unloaded it and hit the throttle it does not get above idle speed. With me on it (230 lbs) it was only getting to 2800 rpms.
    Was the red light blinking?

After I loaded it on the trailer it would get up to 3500 RPMS and the little red light would start blinking.

What I did not get this time was any code flashings on the screen or the "Check Engine" message scrolling across the screen. Just the red light flashing...
    Has this machine ever run properly for you?

What is the service history?
    How long have you owned it?

I take it this mechanic is not familiar with the Ficht fuel injection system - correct?

Did it rev well beyond 3500RPM on the trailer BEFORE it was put into the water?
    Did the mechanic confirm it would rev before he gave it back to you?

Why was the top end re-ringed?

I suspect the EMM has a problem, and needs repair.

You can check the codes yourself. Note that the EMM can fail in a manner that doesn't trigger a code, yet it still doesn't work properly.
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

How to read Polaris Ficht EMM trouble codes without special software or a computer

This company can diagnose and repair the EMM;
    DFI Technologies Inc.
    Repair and update of Ficht Fuel Injection (FFI) EMM used in Polaris Direct Injection (DI) PWC engines.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]
    DFI Technologies
    22638 Canal Rd
    Orange Beach, AL
    USA 36561
    1-866-298-1510
    +1 (251) 974-5210 Voice
    +1 (251) 974-5226 FAX

Note: Call or email first before sending EMM

Was the red light blinking?
    I noticed the red light blinking after I put the jet ski back on the trailer. Not sure when it first started blinking.

Has this machine ever run properly for you?
    no, not since I bought it.

What is the service history?
    Do not know the service history; I bought it at an auction.

How long have you owned it?
    Since Aug. 1st.

I take it this mechanic is not familiar with the Ficht fuel injection system - correct?
    Claims he has knowledge of the system. He changed out the fuel sender; replaced all hoses and cleaned the injectors.

Did it rev well beyond 3500RPM on the trailer BEFORE it was put into the water?
    Do not know I forgot to check; was excited about using it finally.

Did the mechanic confirm it would rev before he gave it back to you?
    Said he ran it several time to make sure the codes where not coming back on; but was not there for me to talk to when I picked it up.

Why was the top end re-ringed?
    Was not holding pressure; two mechanics said it would need a top end rebuild without cracking it open.
    He said the rebuild would depend on the shape of the pistons when he opened it up. After he opened it up, he said the pistons looked good. So he only changed the rings. (Claimed they where now holding 150PSI)

I suspect the EMM has a problem, and needs repair.
    What does it avg. to fix or replace the EMM?

=======================================
    New question.
    I seem like I am not really getting a lot of water movment. Does the EMM affect this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information