Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Need help planning first mods for Ultra 250X

Hey everyone,

I have been reading this forum all summer and have finally decided that I want to do some mods this winter. These would be my first mods so I would like to keep them to bolt-ons and free mods that do not effect the motor. I will probably do the timing advance mod eventually but I want to hold off for now.

I just purchased a GPS, I got 66.5mph in very light chop, 80* F, sea level, one passenger (total 315lbs+), with 1/3 tank of gas. I figure that I could have easily done 67mph+ by myself, too bad I had a friend over that day. Anyway, I am going to use 67mph as my baseline until I can get better readings.

My goal is to hit 71-72mph+ on flat/light chop without losing too much rough water stability and hookup (Ideally I would lose hardly any). Anyway, here is my plan, please ciritique, don't feel bad telling me it's a bad idea, I want advice that is why I posted here.

Winter 2010 mods (hopefully 71-72mph flat/light chop):

RD Rideplate (2-3mph gain) = 69-70mph+

RD Sponsors (I hear they work well with the rideplate) = same speed

RD 1* Pump Wedge (.5mph, increased accel) = 69.5-70.5

RD High Performance Air Filter Kit (.5mph, increased accel.) = 70-71mph)

Free Mods (RAM Air, re-seal grate, can you think of any others that would be good for my situation???, hopefully 1mph) = 71-72mph

Thoughts? Keep in mind I am trying to avoid modifying the engine and I am looking to keep as much rough water stability and hookup as possible. The speed goals are for flat/light chop.

PS: Should I just get the RD Performance Package and then just add the Free Mods. Would the included intake grate reduce my speed too much? Will I become unhooked in chop without it?

you will loose hookup with the wedge.

what about air into the bilge, and out of the bilge?

remove excess weight if you can (free mods)

check your intake area make sure its a smooth transition (free mods)

just a few ideas for you in addition to what you've listed.

Smile Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    you will loose hookup with the wedge.

what about air into the bilge, and out of the bilge?

remove excess weight if you can (free mods)

check your intake area make sure its a smooth transition (free mods)

just a few ideas for you in addition to what you've listed.
    Hey man, I was hoping you would comment. Huge respect for your offshore racing. Thanks for the advice (can never have enough free mods)! Could the intake grate be used to offset the hookup loss from the wedge or would I end up with a net loss of speed from it which might make it not worth it?

Keep 'em coming guys

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    Hey man, I was hoping you would comment. Huge respect for your offshore racing. Thanks for the advice (can never have enough free mods)! Could the intake grate be used to offset the hookup loss from the wedge or would I end up with a net loss of speed from it which might make it not worth it?

Keep 'em coming guys

yes, it could offset the loss. If you ride in really swelly waters, I'd leave it off as you will get more "air". At that point the grate wont matter. if your waters are moderate chop to flat, with the R&D grate it will be good. The grate will offset and keep your hull planted. However in very flat water you'll loose some top end with the R&D grate, but will be offset by the 1* wedge. I was using the R&D for a while along with the 1* and I really liked it! I did some mods, and hated the R&D intake with my mods. Actually my stock intake with stock plate was my best setup after the mods. The stock intake with the center bar removed is good too (thats what I am running)..THe TBM intake is really good to, because you can change on the fly, giving you the best of both worlds with the twist of a few screws.

Oh....I'm a fool...my #1 OFFSHORE MOD that you MUST do it will gain you 2 MPH in the rough...

LIFTER WEDGES!!!!!!!!!!ANd yes, I'm being VERY serious..Ask my Australian brothers whom I told a year ago! Once they did this mod (a year later) they said man I shoulda done this a year ago!

Thanks for the compliments man. Much appreciated! Means a lot to know I've had a little influince on growing the sport!

delet the 2nd water box by putting in a u-pipe, block off the BOV valve.
    if you ride in rough stuff don't do the wedge. I ride mainly flat water and did the Riva ride plate and 2* degree wedge (I got 1.5 to 2mph). Have Fun with it

I also forgot to mention when you take out the intercooler to remove the 2nd water box & put in the u-pipe ($20) . I would definetly do the Intercooler mod (its only $30) dual fead from the bottom, exiting the top and out the hull.

Check out my mods...mostly free. I ride moslty light chop and have had really good results w speed and hook up. Only guy that ever got close to me was on a new Yam.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Oh....I'm a fool...my #1 OFFSHORE MOD that you MUST do it will gain you 2 MPH in the rough...

LIFTER WEDGES!!!!!!!!!!ANd yes, I'm being VERY serious..Ask my Australian brothers whom I told a year ago! Once they did this mod (a year later) they said man I shoulda done this a year ago!
    tsk tsk, I was waiting for it.

plus dont forget the no 2 mod, get a service manual.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the input . I am going to go read more about all of the mods you mentioned.

Dubz - The lifter wedges look really promising. Weather permitting hopefully I can get them and give them a try before the end of the season and give you some feedback.

JET250 - Great advice on the service manual. BluUltra250x actually filled me in about that just a little while ago

I will update my planned mods once I do a little more reading (You can't research too much. At least that's what I tell myself ).

Keep 'em coming everyone. If anyone else has advice please post it. Keep in mind I am trying to do minimal engine mods for right now and keep my rough water stability and hook-up from dropping too much.

If you want top speed, go with the Riva plate instead of RD. But the Riva plate is NOT good for offshore.

Stock plate = Hull planted
    RD plate = Lifts the bow up a little bit (I use the RD plate and it is a good compromise)
    Riva plate = Lifts much of the hull out of the water.

Another thing; if your a lake-rider, you are on the wrong ski...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information