Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Theres a nipple on the top of the Oil Tank with no hose???

So I am in the process of changing fuel lines and trying to find a massive oil leak that lead to me pulling 4 quarts out of the bottom of the hull a few days ago. Right when I began I found this.

It is a nipple on the top of the oil tank that does not have a hose comming off it. Could this potentially be my leak?? there isnt oil sprayed all around it tho so Im not sure. On another note, I pulled the carbs to clean them up a bit and was reaching under the motor to see what all i could find, missing/dropped parts wise, and I could a threaded hole in the bottom of the motor. I couldent tell if it was the oil culprute since everything was covered. It is a 2000 GTX 951. The hole seemed to be at an angle pointing forward, and was about 6-8 inches from the front of the block on the very bottom of it. If anyone has any idea of what im talking about please help me out. I really need to get it back running!!!!

-david

+1
    That thing on the top of the oil tank is the breather check valve. There is not supposed to be anything on it. There is no oil return on a 951's oil tank.

Oil would not leak from there. The valve lets air in, but nothing out.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=87&B=10

What you felt on the bottom was likely one of the mounting lugs. They would be where the engine bolted to a base plate, if they used a base plate. The left rear is used for the ground wire.

The only place that much oil could come from would be the line to the pump (there four hose joints that could leak) or the tank itself. The tanks are known for leaking around the fitting insert and in the case of the GTX and RX, the tank itself is prone to leaks around the seam (and also the filler neck if too much oil is in the tank).

In the pic, that is the vent for the oil tank, there is nothing that attached to it. I don't think that the threaded hole you are feeling has anything to do with the oil leak. Here is a pic of the oil system, pump on the front of the engine (on left) with lines delivering oil to the intake manifolds infront of the reeds (brass spigot). Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil System.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	150013  
    Last edited by retro jet; 09-11-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo

look at those grey fuel lines

good info posted on finding the oil leak,, If you ski was upside down and the one way check valve was bad you might have a oil leak,, but right side up,, most likely not

post back what you find

well after having the whole thing apart I think i am going to assume that the leak is comming from the tank itself. Finding the oil leak was on the back burner to finding out why the ski is not getting any fuel, When i tried to start it last week, I got nothing, everything is there except fuel, Randomly i took the fuel filter off to clean it and put it back on tried to start for another 10 min and still it was not full. When I had the carb apart i found no fuel anywhere, there was none in the lines either. Now i know there is fuel in the tank so would you guess it is the fuel pump inside the tank?? What else could it be???

+1
    Unless it is a DI there is not a pump in the tank. The fuel pump is on the front carb. Since you have pulled the carbs and I assume cleaned them out I would say the fuel valve is probably clogged.

Make sure the pulse hose is not cracked (that gray line in the pic coming from just behind the rear carb). If it is good then get a splicer (a 5/16 double hose barb, that sort of thing) and bypass the fuel valve by hooking the "Reserve" supply line directly to the line that goes to the filter. Then see if it is getting fuel.

If so, you can either block off the "On" line and run it like that, as some do, or get a new fuel valve.

Checking the Fuel Situation:

1) If you had the carbs off, there is a good chance you need to prime the fuel lines. Pull the main line off the filter that goes directly to the carbs, fill it full of fuel.

2) As previously mentioned, check the fuel selector valve. The pulse line...

3) If you have the gray fuel lines, check for blockages everywhere (fuel selector, in the carbs, the main filter bowl). Most everyone agrees to change them out and take the possible deterioration of the the lines out of the equation. (Do a general search for fuel line replacement)

+1
    You do not have to prime the fuel system on a 951. A good system will fill up on its own pretty quickly.

The hose pictured is a one-way check valve, as the engine pulls oil from the tank it allows air into the tank otherwise the tank would collapse. After doing a full restoration on my 99 GSX I found that the seam (tank top half to bottom half) on my oil tank was leaking. I ordered used a tank on ebay and it leaked at the seam also so I ended up ordering a new one from Parker Yamaha. I thought I had it fixed but I noticed the other day that the new tank still seeps a little from seam. I am going to try and put a little seal all around the seam, hopefully this will fix the leak. U might also check your oil lines 9 from tank and to the carbs), i once had ultra 150 that had gotten hot and made all the oils lines brittle and cracked which leaked a ton of oil.... Another thing I noticed from pics is that all the fuel lines look factory. Every Seadoo I have ever had pre 2000 I had issues with the factory fuel lines clogging and gunking up...js.....Hope this helps

My old oil tank split at the seams.. My NEW oil tank also leaks at the seams too..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information