pop off adjustment question

i am about to pull the carbs off of my 01 gp1200r again to change out the 125 main jets for 120's (my chokes are still intact). i am trying to get rid of a 1/4 - 1/2 throttle rich sputter. it is around 4 - 5 k when it will dissapear and clear up with some more throttle. right now my pop offs are set @ 42 psi, will setting them to 45 psi make that much of a difference to possibly clear up the rich condition or would the pressure have to change more drasticly to make a difference? i have no accel pump, flame arrestors, 110 pilot jet, 1.5 n/s and a 95 g spring. other mods are 13/19 prop, d-plate, milled head for 92+ gas, r&d grate and riva plate. just trying to see if resetting them 4 psi is worth while. thanks again, paul c.

+1
    In my opinion, no. Your popoff is just a tad high, so lowering it will not fix a "rich sputtering" in the midrange. You sure that's your problem? Why not rejet and tune the T handles first. I bet that fixes the issue.

And keep in mind that these carbed skis just don't run as clean as the EFI skis. It's the nature of the beast.

that is what i am doing today. i have one more main jet to change then it is off to my friends lake to tune the carbs. i wasn't sure if just a few psi would make a difference or not. if some sputtering is normal cruising that is the info i was looking for since the only gpr i have ridden is mine. i am going to try it with the lows out about 3/4 - 7/8. thanks again.

Thread Information