Thread: 96 sl780

96 sl780

I have a 96 sl780 that I am working on for a friend .It wont rev past 3500 rpm and acts like its going into a default mode .THe carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt and it has new sparkpluggs .You can hook it up to the waterhose and let it sit a minute then start it up and the engine will rev out like it should about three times then go back to what sounds like hitting the rev limiter.I have searched the forums and read something about disconnecting a grey wire to bypass limp mode.The engine is not overheating and it is full of gas and oil.Any ideas? Thanks

+1
    Any red light on the display?? Does the fuel level show on the display?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dewberryone View Post
    ...You can hook it up to the waterhose and let it sit a minute then start it up...
    Hang on, are you running garden hose water through the engine with the engine NOT running?

That is a no-no.

Sequence for running on the hose is always;
    Engine start, then water on
    Water OFF, then engine stop

This prevents possible water flooding back into the engine from the exhaust water injection system.

There is a red light that blinks at the top of the multifunction display but he said it always does that .The fuel tank is full and the display shows the same.I have a valve on the waterhose at the engine and never turn it on until engine is running.Thanks for the replies and input.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dewberryone View Post
    There is a red light that blinks at the top of the multifunction display but he said it always does that...
    The red lamp will blink when the display wakes up, but then it should go off.

Is there a message on the display, like HOT, or Low Fuel, or LoPwr?

I will double check the display tomorrow and report back. Thanks

I found the problem with the 780 this morning.The fuel sending unit was defective .I grounded the wires coming from it and the red light stopped blinking .Once i did this the engine would rev out like it should.I noticed while I had it on the hose that the pto and center cylinders were cool to the touch but the the mag cylinder was considerably warmer .I have a 94 sl650 and have never noticed that. Anyone know if this is normal?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel floats get gas logged and sink. Watcon.com sells replacements for around $26.

When running on the hose, it's normal for the MAG cyl to get much warmer than the other 2.

If you're really concerned, attach the garden hose to the 3/4" hose going from the jet pump to the exhaust pipe. That's your intake hose and will replicate the ski on the water. I bet your cyl temps all feel normal if you do that.

Make sure to start the engine first before turning on the water. Then turn off the water before stopping the engine. There's a chance of flooding the engine with water if you don't.

Thanks for the information.

Thread Information