+1

Tested: JD1 Sponsons on FZR

This is Bob's (Oldmans) FZR. Results may vary for others because his rideplate has some extreme angle on it. Didn't do any back to back speed runs or any speed runs in general. Had the GPS on and while I was out riding got a best of 72.6 @ 7660 RPM with nearly a full tank and not trying for a top-end number.

Overall, and taking into consideration what these sponsons are for, I really like them. In fact, aside from a little too much angle on the rideplate, I had the most fun I have ever had riding an FZR with Dan's sponsons on. To think this big hull could feel anymore nimble is crazy, but with his sponsons it does. It is a completely different ride from the stockers and takes some getting use to. Tips (rolls) in much easier and turns so much sharper and quicker. The way the rideplate is right now the rear-end will wash out if railing too hard so I wasn't able to really hammer on the sponsons in the turns. So not sure how they respond at the limit. Maybe not as locked down but damn if it isn't more fun to ride

Tracking in rough water seems fine. Ski seemed a little more twitchy when railing hard in rough water as it wasn't quite as stable. I think this is a combination of the sponsons and rideplate. It is a more involved ride, like my old X ski, which I really like.

+1
    thanks for the input

+1
    I'll go ahead and add my two cents from the other thread to make sure people see it. I agree 100% with Mpower's review. They definitely make the ski more fun to ride and are quite a bit cheaper than some of the other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I also threw on a set of JD's sponsons on my SHO this weekend. Love them. It is just as txgp1300r said. They are not bouy or carving sponsons. They help free up the big hull from the water and make turning more predicable and forgiving. Before when turning in chop if the back of the ski came unhooked it would just about toss you every time it came back down. That feeling is very much reduced with these. In smooth water I'm able to hold a higher RPM in high speed turns which I'm also sure will help for straight line top speed runs.

I can't comment on actual gains though. I didn't do a back to back test but still plan to. I was disgusted because I couldn't get over 68 and a half almost all weekend. I am guessing this was because the humidity was so high. I did runs on the river last weekend, up and down, for an average of 70.3 and this weekend, on the lake, 68.6 I think was the best run.

Another reason to get those stock sponsons off is since they are plastic, they flex, and actually dig into the side of your hull. When I took mine off I found some gouges near the front of the stock sponsons where they were flexing and went through the paint. I will try and post up pics tonight. I will be touching up those spots this winter and wetsanding everything smooth again.

The stock sponsons are junk.
    I'm also working on having my JD sponsons re-anodized black and will post up good pics once I have them and how much it cost me. Will probably be less than $40.

LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar
    is there any topend speed gains,when using jd sponsons.looks like there would be less drag when using those

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorpion View Post
    is there any topend speed gains,when using jd sponsons.looks like there would be less drag when using those
    I saw a couple mph gain. Went from 69.5 to 71.5 but the cooler weather was part of it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

+1
    where are they avilable and how much ????? i'm fairly sure they will bolt on the VXS..

+1
    where are they avilable and how much ????? i'm fairly sure they will bolt on the VXS..

yes they will fit and I have a set for sale in the Yamaha section,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    yes they will fit and I have a set for sale in the Yamaha section,
    1-fast-sho beat me to it.....

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Big John go ahead they are yours, i am going another route.

LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar
    i took my ski out today and this was the first time with the jd sponsons .i thought they where great they seem to have gave me an extra mile per hour . it also loosend the back end of the ski up quite a bit to me it was a nite and day difference from going with jd 1 sponson from stock sponsons . the next set of sponsons i would like to try will be the macc racing sponson.if any one would like to add there two cents in i would greatly apprechiate it because i am a noob and iam serching for the best sponsons mostly for speed.

Thread Information