2002 speedster -- Wear ring issue?

Hello, First post here so be easy =)

Bought a 2002 speedster (947 engine) at the start of summer, been running great. Must of put at least 70+ hours on it this summer.... Just today, when I had a friend driving it (just cruising, nothing crazy), I noticed it was slow to plane and it was maybe going max of 30 MPH on the speedo. I'm thinking its the wear ring going bad? The engine appears great. Rev's up to 7K no problem, sounds great, steady idle, etc...

How many hours do you normally need to replace the wear ring? It had been running great all day out on the lake then in 5 mins time it had this problem. Checked the intake grate and it was clear.

Thanks in advance!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the pump tunnel...you may have sucked in a big trash bag..get under it and get a big flashlight to check...with the light shining in the tunnel, look into the back end..if you see lots of light, the wear ring may need repalcing. Pulling the pump for a real close up inspection isn't all that painful a job.

my bet however is on some obstruction in the pump

Well I had some time today to see what was going on. Took a flash light to look for damage on the wear ring... HOLY CRAP! The impeller appears to have gashed the wear ring badly...

What are some of the causes that would cause the impeller to do that? Mount mounters going bad? Sucked up a rock? Or just normal wear and tear? I'm sure that wear ring had been on for at least 120+ hours (since the other owner had it)

+1
    typically a rock..but I've seen the lids of those little airline booze bottles do some pretty major damage..the bottles are small enough to get sucked in..and the plastic just tough enough not to be killed by the prop..and that aluminum cap can put a pretty big gash in the wear ring ( and beat the crap outta the pump tunnel too!)

Thanks for the info! Never taken this thing apart, but it appears simple enough! Do you happen to know of any good posts that have a write up on this?

Thanks again!

+1
    plenty of posts and more..the search button is your friend here...a search for wear ring removal will uncover a wide variety of tips and tricks to get the job done with minimal pain and expense.

Thread Information