Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

08 15f broken spark plug, need some advice

well i did my 100hr service oil change and plugs. when i get to cylinder no 1 the plug breaks right off..... easily. all day i tried every method except pulling the whole cyl and top cover. tried and ez out, screwdriver method, you name it i did it. i was patient and didnt do the gorilla and hurry. so my question is now what? i have extended warranty but i would say this is def not a manufacturer defect or issue. i really need advice here. do i take it to the dealer and see if warranty will cover any of it or dont even waste my time. also, i am in maimi so i have a couple of dealers to choose from. i really am not to shabby about the service dept at where i bought the ski. i have riva south and riva pompano close to me. i am figuring if i am gonna end up getting shafted and having to pay this, i might as well get a dealer that is worth it...lol stealership. how many hours or price range u think i am looking at. i am figuring from like 600 to like 1200 or even more. so waht do u guys think. i have a service manual and was thinking just do it myself but downtime? dealer might be the same anyway? i am afraid of going to the dealer and them telling me i need a new cyl head or someting......what am i looking at here if i do it myself. i am very familiar with 2 stroke rebuilds and tear downs, how bad is the teardown and rebuild on the 4 stroke consding all the valvetrain, timing chaing etc etc and setting up everything again, i have never built a 4 stroke ski. i swear i'll chop her up in pieces and sell her and get the 260 if this really gets under my skin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl 1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	439.2 KB 
ID:	150181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	150182  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    extracting a broken plug shouldn not be out of the skill range of any experienced tech ,as long as you haven't broken a hardened screw extrator off in the plug. call around and be prepared to pay $150-$300 for this tricky bit of labor.

it happened to me.
    i took the head off and drilled here the rest of the spark was and then you have to pass a male screw in it.
    good luck

You guys think it's corrosion weakening the metal? Looks like some on the plug end in the out of focus spark plug picture. I'm thinking if this is the case it might be wise to check the seals on the plug connector and keep that area dry then possibly coat with a bit of CRC or something similar once in a while. I coat the plug wire seals with Dow Corning Compound 4 and now wonder if more needs to be done to prevent an occurance. That mess really sucks for something so new. I'd try for warranty as any self respecting wrench should understand the thing shouldn't snap upon removal from a 1 year old machine.

RT

in the ultra 250 i think the problem is the poor quality of the material of the head

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure and always use anti-seize when installing plugs so this doesn't happen again.

when i get to cylinder no 1 the plug breaks right off..... easily.
    This is why I thought the plug was weakened by corrosion.

rt

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Make sure and always use anti-seize when installing plugs so this doesn't happen again.
    +2

+1
    well had my buddy a master tech try and get it off with the extractor and nothing the whole thing is seized on there. extractor stuck in there. so time to pull the head and take it to the machine shop....sucks i tell you !!

i have a service manual for the 04-05 models is the timing and all that other good stuff the same? i am gonna have my buddy (an auto mechanic) help me this week .....see what happens. i got quoted $650 ouch !! by a local shop to pull the head, machine that thing off and assemble everything back.

you guys think i should just put in a new head gasket also, since i had the overheat, might as well, correct...?

I would not reuse any gasket, especially the head gasket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information