Trouble starting 97 XP

Advice needed starting a 97 xp. New battery and fully charged. When trying to start it will turn over for about 6-8 seconds then quits turning over then I will just hear the starter engaging sort of a clicking noise. I can continue pushing on the button and hearing the clicking noise until it will again catch and turn over for just a sec. When I remove the plugs, the ski turns over just fine. Could this be a bad starter or do I need a hi compression starter?

I've seen this quite a few times....

1) I know you said new battery and fully charged, but I still suspect a low battery. A fully charged battery should have at least a 12.8 volt reading and will read above 13.0 off the charger.

2) I would try another battery or have the battery load tested at your auto parts store.

3) Alternatively, you can connect another battery in parallel from a vehicle. Just as if you were jump-starting, but do not start the vehicle.

4) Don't use the jump-start or boost feature on the battery charger to try starting the ski.

If all that fails, then i would start checking other things.

im having the same problem with the xp i just bought, will go clunk then turn over a little bit then clunk again like the battery is dead, i know its not the battery its new and works in my other ski. i noticed the starter was extremely hot i could not put my hand on it even, and only cranked for a few seconds.....bad starter maybe??

Is the bendix bad on the starter???

Typically it will stay engaged until the engine fires or attempts to the engine speed out does the starter speed and the starter disengages till you let it spin down and start over, Sound like what it is doing?

With out the plugs installed the motor has no way to out speed the starter so it does not happen..

I bought a new sbt starter that is suppose to be a higher output one. Im gonna put it on this weekend. Will let you know.

Ok, I put the sbt high torque starter on today and it did the same thing - would just hear the starter going clunk clunk and wouldnt even turn over. Not sure where to go with this ??

Quote Originally Posted by jetskr View Post
    Ok, I put the sbt high torque starter on today and it did the same thing - would just hear the starter going clunk clunk and wouldnt even turn over. Not sure where to go with this ??
    deff the bendix then my xpl did that, but im trying a new starter first its easier to change and mine would get really hot after a couple seconds of engaging it

have the battery load tested,,, sounds like the "new" battery is bad.

post back

Thread Information