New owner - few "where does this go" questions

Just picked up a 94 SL650 for the extreme cost of $0.00. :appl:
    I already know it needs the carbs rebuilt and I need to change over to the 3 way fuel pump. Plan on doing a top end rebuild over the winter. So far nothing I can't tackle myself. Sorry for the long first post.
    Just ordered my service manual and have a few questions about some hoses that I think the PO messed up.
    The first to are at the stern. One end of each goes out the hull by the shaft. Where do these connect? They are clear hoses and look to be 1/2" ID.

Next there is a 1/4" ID hose that goes along the hull to the bow. It's also clear.

The next is at the bow under the storage compartment. One end goes to the gas tank. Other end appears to have a check valve on it, or it's just a male to male hose connector.

The last is under the steering in the console. It goes through the hull, behind the oil tank but has nothing else attached to it. Is this just a vent hose?

Now that those are out of the way, have what should be a simple one. The fuel sender was already removed and from what I have been able to find so far it should have a wire going to it. I've already found a new one (not cheap), should this have a wire or should I not even bother to repair & just replace? Can I run the ski without the sender?

Thanks all!

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    Just picked up a 94 SL650 for the extreme cost of $0.00. :appl:
    I already know it needs the carbs rebuilt and I need to change over to the 3 way fuel pump. Plan on doing a top end rebuild over the winter. So far nothing I can't tackle myself. Sorry for the long first post.
    Just ordered my service manual and have a few questions about some hoses that I think the PO messed up.
    The first to are at the stern. One end of each goes out the hull by the shaft. Where do these connect? They are clear hoses and look to be 1/2" ID. Siphon hoses should be glued down to the hull. draws water out of the compartment. Two metal tubes you see in the pump by the steering nozzle.

Next there is a 1/4" ID hose that goes along the hull to the bow. It's also clear. Battery vent tube, hooks to battery

The next is at the bow under the storage compartment. One end goes to the gas tank. Other end appears to have a check valve on it, or it's just a male to male hose connector. Relief valve

The last is under the steering in the console. It goes through the hull, behind the oil tank but has nothing else attached to it. Is this just a vent hose?

Now that those are out of the way, have what should be a simple one. The fuel sender was already removed and from what I have been able to find so far it should have a wire going to it. I've already found a new one (not cheap), should this have a wire or should I not even bother to repair & just replace? Can I run the ski without the sender?

Thanks all!
    Nice deal for free

Thanks a bunch!

What does the relief valve connect to?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk stl.

This should help a bit with the 2 top pics.

Third pic does look to be the battery vent. They normal run all the way up to the steering cowl where it vents to the atmosphere.

This is the best I can do for pics 4&5

Pic 4 is the one way check valve. Should have 1 for the gas tank and the oil tank. It let's air in but nothing out in the event of a roll over.

Pic 5 is another check valve for the fuel tank. It should release excess pressure inside the fuel tank after 1.5 lbs of psi, but not let gas out. It usually attaches to a grommet inserted into the cowl allowing it to vent outside the ski.

As for the sender, get a different one. Not worth trying to fix. Look for someone parting out another 650, and see if you can get it cheaper.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk ,,good hands are already got you down the right path...
    have fun and enjoy
    matt

Thanks guys! You have been great.

Just ordered my 3 way fuel pump & fuel lines. Rebuilt carbs should show up some time this coming week too.

Trying to get in a few weekends before the weather starts to turn here.

+1
    What's your location?

Where'd you get the triple fuel pump from?

Who's doing the rebuilding of the carbs? Are they yours, or are you buying another set?

I'm in St. Louis.

Here is the fuel pump I was going to order. http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/..._Code=714HP011

If someone has a cheaper one let me know.

Carbs are going to be coming from a company in CA that rebuilds them. My dad has a barter company so it's only going to cost me the price of shipping. I'll know more about that tomorrow morning.

+1
    That's a nice fuel pump, but a bit much for a 650. A cheaper 35L per hour will do you just fine.

John Zigler sells the 35L fuel pump for nearly half of that. Also has the pump with hose and plugs as a kit for about the same cost as that pump.

Great advice from everyone. Thanks a bunch. Just saved me money, even with the noob questions.

Thread Information