Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

97 GSI Bad MPEM ???

Went riding for about three hours today and the ski ran great until the last boat wake jump with a hard landing then it died. Tried the lanyard off / on but nothing, no beeps no power to the gauges nothing at all. Once at home same thing everything completely dead, with no lanyard on pushing the stop button usually brings the gauges up but nothing. Battery is good, if I jump the solenoid it cranks over. Found the 5A MPEM fuse blown, replaced it but as soon as you push the stop button to power the gauges it blows again. Tried unplugging the stator on the mag cover and the voltage regulator but it still blows the 5A fuse.

Does this sound like a bad MPEM and would a hard landing cause it to fail ?

TIA

+1
    Anybody ?

+1
    sounds like a ground or a fuse to me.

+1
    The latest.

I unplugged everything from the MPEM except the one multipin connector that has the main power and inputs / outputs from the essential stuff like DESS, coil, starter solenoid, magneto etc. As soon as the 5A fuse is installed it blows instantly. I then used a spare battery to apply 12V to the correct inputs and with no other devices or wiring plugged in and the 5A fuse still blows.

I'm thinking this thing is toast, would a hard landing do this ? I would like to try and find the cause before plugging in a replacement.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    take the stator cover off and look for a piece of metal from the magneto to the stator.you'll have to remove the flywheel,but i bet a piece bounced up into it upon that landing.oh the metal would be from the starter drive and its very common

goodluck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    take the stator cover off and look for a piece of metal from the magneto to the stator.you'll have to remove the flywheel,but i bet a piece bounced up into it upon that landing.oh the metal would be from the starter drive and its very common

goodluck
    The starter was just replaced a few rides previous to this, makes you go Hmmmm. I will pull the flywheel and check this out.

Would this cause the problem with the MPEM ?

+1

Dragging this back to the top.

Holidays over, time to get back into the garage.

Is it possible to use something like a pre DESS box or MSD ignition system and do away with the factory MPEM ? I looked on the MSD site and nothing jumped out at me.

I'm an electrical contractor by trade so having a challenge with wiring doesn't scare me off. I figuring on wiring in the old style lanyard and probably a different start/stop switch would not be too hard. I realize I will probably loose the gauges etc and I can deal with that.

If anyone has done something similar and could share any info it would be appreciated.

i had pretty much the same problem on my 99 xpl... out riding and it died... blowning fuses every time put new in. i purchased a 2nd hand mpem and it wasn't that. turned out it was the bendix had broken about 4 teeth off and they had stuck to to mag and fried the stator. good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clownhands View Post
    i had pretty much the same problem on my 99 xpl... out riding and it died... blowning fuses every time put new in. i purchased a 2nd hand mpem and it wasn't that. turned out it was the bendix had broken about 4 teeth off and they had stuck to to mag and fried the stator. good luck.
    This MPEM is definately fried. The first thing I will do is remove the engine and check the stator and charging coils before plugging anything back together. I was hoping there was a different ignition system I could use and eliminate the Seadoo MPEM.

Your sig is that Derbyshire UK ?
    I have family in Oughtibridge and Durham, I was born in Sheffield.

there is a guy on here that sells 2nd bits cheap and really realiable, i.ll pm you his name. Yes it is derby uk... Ride ski in north wales nice place. Where you from now? Take it moved from sunny uk ha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information