Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

04 RXP 215 trouble

Great forum, I've been doing some research here. My boss brought me his Sea Doo to work on. He needs it for this weekend (9-18-9) He complains that after some real hard ridding an overheat warning comes on and it loses power. Runs great until it gets hot. Can you tell me where to start? I have a manual and want to check the SC slipping. Can you tell me the dimension of the camshaft locking tool (diameter)?

Possible intercooler plugged? I pulled the strainer at the pump on the back and it is clean.

Thanx,
    Mel

+1
    An H-Temp alarm usually means poor water flow to the exhaust.

This can be caused by a clogged intercooler if the intercooler is aftermarket. I have never seen a stock intercooler clog up.

The J pip has 3 pisser holes that squirt into the water box. These can clog up. Many of us drill them out 1 drill bit size larger to prevent them from clogging.

Your problem could also be as simple as a bad exhaust temp sensor.

Are you getting any P codes on the dash? Press the set button 5 times in a row and read any codes on the dash. If there are no codes it will say "End"

I believe a 5/16" drill bit will work as a cam locking tool.

Wow, what a great forum. OK, it came up "end", so no codes. J pipe....is that the pipe after the exhaust manifold? I see there are some rubber hoses attached, took one off but no "orrifice" just a tube.

I also pulled the hose from the SC and found there is a bit of oil in it.
    If it where a deisel truck turbo it wouldn't bother me but for this little engine....?

Please keep in mind I am a millwright mechanic at a structural steel manufacturing plant. Things are slow so I'm doing some fill in work. But, I do love this $(!#. thanx again!!

+1
    Mel, you will have to remove the J pipe from the engine to see the 3 pisser holes. Yes, it's the stainless pipe that fits between the water box and the exhaust manifold.

My bet is it's just a bad exhaust temp sensor though.

It's normal to have oil in the air intake tract leading up to the supercharger. Oil is pulled in from the positive crankcase ventilation system.

Over filled oil can cause higher than normal amounts of oil that you find in the air intake.

Not sure if you know the proper oil checking procedure so here it is

with a hot engine let it idle for 30 seconds
    shut it off and wait 30 seconds
    Check the oil. It should be half way between the two bends on the stick.
    Any higher than that and the oil is over filled.

Glad you like the forum

I assumed the J pipe was the pipe after the exh manifold and removed it, found the three holes and they are clear. What I haven't found is any water in any of these parts. Literally there have been two drops of water at one hose connection and otherwise it's dry. Is this typical? Where does the water come from and how does it get there? Is there a water pump for the exhaust system and intercooler? This came out of the wate on friday and has been sitting in the shop the weekend.

Can't figure why a bad sensor would make the engine run bad. Help me understand that.

I'll have to put things back together to run it. Does it hurt to run it out of the water? I realize it is a self contained cooling system but what about the pump/impeller? won't hurt it?

thanx again, you have been a great help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by melcraven View Post
    Can't figure why a bad sensor would make the engine run bad. Help me understand that.
    Because when you get the alarm the ski goes into limp mode and cuts power.

You are fine running the ski on the hose for a few minutes when out of the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by melcraven View Post
    Where does the water come from and how does it get there? Is there a water pump for the exhaust system and intercooler?
    Water is picked up from the pump support and routed to the intercooler. From the intercooler it's routed to the front/bottom of the exhaust manifold.

There is no water pump to push water to the intercooler. Pump pressure at the pump support is what forces the water thru.

Your a wealth of knowledge. I'll find and change that sensor. In the mean time, testing of the SC has confirmed it turns at less that 20 inch pounds. The way I understand it, I sould be able to set me click type torque wrench at 60 inch pounds and it should click before the SC turns. Its' lowest setting is 20 inch pounds and it never clicks...the SC turns and your can hear the friction.

What do I HAVE to have to fix this? and Where do I buy it. I'm up against a time limit.

EGTS reads 2500 ohms. Limits are 2280 - 2740 ...........so it's good. I was really hoping it was bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information