Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 SLT Not Reving

I have a 95 750 SLT. I just went through the carbs and upgraded to the Mikuni 3 outlet fuel pump. Now the motor will not rev over 5400 rpm and top speed is only 35mph.

Before I put the new fuel pump on, the motor would rev to 6100 and top speed was 41mph.

The reason I put the new pump on was the Center & PTO plugs where White looking and the boat stumbled and hesitated out of the gate. Now the plugs look dark but not fluffy black. It is sluggish when I punch it off the line but it does not hesitate.

The carbs are set EXACTLY as my Clymer specifies: MAG-1 turn out, CENTER- 1/2 turn out, PTO- 3/4 Turn out, Idle screws 1/2 turn out. I set them 3 times to make TRIPLE sure the settings were correct.

WTF did I do wrong??????

+1
    IF you changed the fuel lines, did you put the restrictor back in the return line? It has a lil tie wrap around it just off the top fuel rail It HAS to be in there or else you don't develop enough fuel pressure.
    Did you ax the auto cock? Beerdart would be the expert on that subject. I,m just trying to help!
    When you did this fuel pump swap, how did you do it exactly?
    Did you get any diagrams of what needs to be gotten rid of and where to plump everything?
    The exact setting is only a guide. May need some tweaking on the screws and do some plug chops and check piston wash?
    Also I read when screwing the screws in be very careful to LIGHTLY seat them , then turn them out or else you could make a flat spot on the needles.
    By the way, I have a 94sl and a 95slt.!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Besides the fuel pump, are there any other mods done to the ski?

Plugs are black, but not fluffy black? What's that mean?

Are they wet?

Have you done a compression test?

Do you have strong spark?

No other mods, bone ass stock. Compression 115,120, 115. I did the plumbing as pictured here . Plugs look like chocolate, dark brown not pitch black with fuzzy black soot. Very good spark.

The boat ran better over all before I "fixed" it. The only complaint was a hesitation when I tried to accelerate hard off the line, and the plugs showed "lean" before I put the new pump on.

+1
    Chocolate brown color is perfect for plugs.

Those are the correct settings for the carb screws. Did you turn them IN until lightly setaed, and then turn them OUT the correct amount of turns?

High speed screws are up top and the lows are near the bottom of the carb.

How about a pic of your hose routing? Just to make sure all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Chocolate brown color is perfect for plugs.

Those are the correct settings for the carb screws. Did you turn them IN until lightly setaed, and then turn them OUT the correct amount of turns?

High speed screws are up top and the lows are near the bottom of the carb.

How about a pic of your hose routing? Just to make sure all is good.
    YEP!! I lightly seated all the needles before I backed them out to factory settings. Unfortunatly I do not have access to a digital camera, but trust me they look EXACTLY like the pic I linked to.

One other thing I noticed since I put the triple pump on. The RPM's max out at about 3/4 throttle on the thumb lever. It hits 5400 with about 1/4 inch of space between the handle grip and lever, I mash the lever all the way to the grip and do not gain a single RPM.

My 95 750 SL Gains RPM in the same amount of space 54-5500 with a 1/4 in gap and 61-6300 with the lever mashed to the grip.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is the SLT just wont rev out. Should I try turning the high speed screws in about 1/8 turn each, or the idle screws in a touch????? The boat sure acts like its too rich. The SLT exhaust has a "DEEP, THROATY" sound. The SL sounds a little more TINNY and HIGH PITCH.

+1
    There's only red X's, and if I click them, theo only pic I see is of the triple outlet fuel pump hose routing.

You can try turning the high speed screws IN about 1/8 turn at a time and see what the RPM does.

How about taking a peek down the plug hole and see what the piston wash is telling you?

+1
    Piston wash first. That will tell ya if the pistons are brand new looking(clean), too rich and also which ones are doin what. If all black. then too lean. You want fingernail size clean spots on the pistons where the ports are. Then your right on.
    Install BPR8ES's too/ cooler plug/motor likes them!

So restrictor is in the return line for sure? just asking.

Are the butterflies and throttle plates opening all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Piston wash first. That will tell ya if the pistons are brand new looking(clean), too rich and also which ones are doin what. If all black. then too lean. You want fingernail size clean spots on the pistons where the ports are. Then your right on.
    Install BPR8ES's too/ cooler plug/motor likes them!

So restrictor is in the return line for sure? just asking.

Are the butterflies and throttle plates opening all the way?
    I did not do anything to the return line it is still factory original. Can a piston wash be done without replacing the head gaskets???

It looks like the plates are fully open when the throttle is mashed to the grip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information