Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VX 110 Deluxe with fuel smell in bilge

Has fuel smells in the bilge and front compartment after the ski sits. I have check all of the hose fittings. The only thing that I notice is there seams to be a lot of pressure released when I remove the gas cap.

Light da fuse and run like hell ! Powder Keg's Avatar
    If you have pressure release when you open the cap that's good !
    you know the system is sealed up. What you may be smelling is the
    outgassing of all the plastics and fiberglass materials used in the construction
    of the ski. Ours does this too with only 11.0 hours it still smells like fuel inside
    when sitting for a while. Even more so when covered. Never a leak or an issue otherwise.

Have you looked for fuel in the bilge? If there is a smell but no obvious sign of fuel, it may well be just as suggested, the natural smells from the plastics etc. If there's pressure as you state, it's probably not leaking, but I'd have a really good look for fuel evidence in the bilge. If there is any, it may be a split in a pipe, or a loose joint. You haven't spilled any fuel when refilling have you?

Brought the ski back from the lake today so I can checkout the fuel system. Pulled the vent off of the tank and could not blow thru it. Per the maintenance manual the check valve should pass air in each direction this one lets air into the tank but none out. I believe it should pass air but not fuel. I will know for sure when I get the new one next week. I felt that the cap pressure was way in excess.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    outgassing of all the plastics and fiberglass materials used in the construction
    of the ski. Ours does this too with only 11.0 hours it still smells like fuel inside
    when sitting for a while. Even more so when covered. Never a leak or an issue otherwise.
    Are you in one of the shows? I am curious as to which one. I am in Sebring in the winter.

The check valve is supposed to hold 3 psi pressure in the tank but still allow fuel to flow. so, the check valve should pass air in one direction and not in the other. This allows the tank to draw air in ( for proper fuel flow ) but - retain pressure in the tank ( pressure when you unscrew the cap )...

If the check valve passes air both ways it's bad......

And no I don't really ride for a living - I just like living and riding ski's !

I guess I need to change some words around there ....

Keg

Bro, you only have 11 hours on the ski?

Yeah , sad as it may be It seems it has been rainy hear every weekend for the past several weeks and I have been busy working on the boat...

That's ok with me if we get out every couple weeks or so. Sometimes we just got other priority's in place. You'll understand it more when you get to 52.

At least my ski is nice and fresh ! LOL

The check valve is supposed to hold 3 psi pressure in the tank but still allow fuel to flow. so, the check valve should pass air in one direction and not in the other. This allows the tank to draw air in ( for proper fuel flow ) but - retain pressure in the tank ( pressure when you unscrew the cap )...

If the check valve passes air both ways it's bad......

And no I don't really ride for a living - I just like living and riding ski's !

I guess I need to change some words around there ....

Keg
    The softcopy 2006 shop manual that I have says flow both ways. I'll wait till I get the new valve next week then compare the two. Have to find a way to get our shop air down to 3lbs to test. Where is the spec documented?
    My gas cap pressure seams excessive compared to my sons RXP.

+1
    odds are its ok, i still have a gas smell in both ours after 240 hours, when taking the seat off, you can also leave the seat off for 24 hours, then smell inside and it should be gone or very faint at best, if it has an active leak or incorrect anything, teh smell of gas will still be there pretty good. the valve, just replace, dont try and test it, you will still not know...lol..i can blow through both wys, i had a issue of no pressure, replaced it and did a few other things and its all good. make sure arrow is pointing down to fuel tank. odds are its not a real big issue at all, some smells will be there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information