Angry HELP!! 98SLTH Carb issues

I recently purchased a 98 SLTH. It hadnt been in the water for 2 years. I took it out on a test run before purchasing and noticed a surging in the and a hesitation when at full throttle. The ski idled well and had no cranking issues. I figured the carbs may be gummed up. I pulled the carbs and sure enough the float screens were gunked up. I cleaned them and the rest of the carbs with your basic carb spray. (I did remove all the rubber and plastic parts) NOW I have a no start situation. The motor runs when I drizzle gas into the carbs but otherwise nothing. Ive replaced the grey fuel lines and cheked the water separator and fuel shut off valve. They were fine. The accelerator pumps in the carbs appeared to be fine as well. Is there a priming procedure or did I screw the carbs up with the carb spray?

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg662 View Post
    I recently purchased a 98 SLTH. It hadnt been in the water for 2 years. I took it out on a test run before purchasing and noticed a surging in the and a hesitation when at full throttle. The ski idled well and had no cranking issues. I figured the carbs may be gummed up. I pulled the carbs and sure enough the float screens were gunked up. I cleaned them and the rest of the carbs with your basic carb spray. (I did remove all the rubber and plastic parts) NOW I have a no start situation. The motor runs when I drizzle gas into the carbs but otherwise nothing. Ive replaced the grey fuel lines and cheked the water separator and fuel shut off valve. They were fine. The accelerator pumps in the carbs appeared to be fine as well. Is there a priming procedure or did I screw the carbs up with the carb spray?
    Make sure you didn't hook the lines up backwards and put the return line on the input for the carb and the input line to the return on the carb.. may want to take the carbs apart again too if its your first time, check all diaphrams for pinholes (hold them up to the light) and make sure gasket and component surfaces are smooth and clean. One thing ive seen before with newbies is the needle valve clip being completely under the spring loaded lever, thus holding it shut all the time. Probably didn't mess up the carbs with spray, and sometimes it does take a minute for them to prime, but if you have sprayed fuel into the carbs and started it for a second then it should be primed.. unlesss you drained the water seperator then it may take a bit longer..

your carbs don't have an accelerator pump..

Thanks FLjoyrider for the advice. I referred to the diapgragms as accelerator pumps from my automotive parts experience. Does the line from the shutoff valve go to the rear carb? I thought I put them back as I took them off, but I'll double check them any way.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg662 View Post
    Thanks FLjoyrider for the advice. I referred to the diapgragms as accelerator pumps from my automotive parts experience. Does the line from the shutoff valve go to the rear carb? I thought I put them back as I took them off, but I'll double check them any way.
    Yes it goes to the rear carb on the fuel pump (rectangle shaped part attached to the side with clear diaphrams inside it). One more thing, when checking your fuel pump, make sure there is no crud on the sealing surfaces for the check valves(little round clear flappers with a rubber plug that holds them in place)

Thread Information