Question A couple projects - Mirrors & Impeller

I have a couple small projects going on with my 96 SL700. First off I have these mirrors from a slt 750 780. I sanded them down and will be painting them white. However I want to get the holes drilled and aligned before I paint. Anyone have a good method to line them up properly before I drill? I checked clearance and I may have to shave some of the excess bolt but it should work....

The second project is considering a new Impeller. Went out with a buddy yesterday who had a Yamaha 1300. It was the first oppurtunity I had to clock my ski. I was able to squeeze out just over 50mph. He was doing 70+.... I want to increase my top end. From what I have read/researched here I will lose some bottom end but that is ok with me. The lake is too big to lag behind the others. Now for the reality question, if Im doing 50 with the stock impeller how fast can we get up to? What are my options? Keep in mind im new to all this... That being said, is changing the impeller difficult?

Thanks for the help!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

templates

make like 2 templates,just the outline of the mirror itself.if the studs will remove from the mirror.position the mirrors where you want,and mark with masking tape.take the template then make holes that will allow you to slide the template down the mirror studs and align with the mirror outline,if the first template is close but not close enough make another using that patten and and eyeball how much to move the holes around on the second one and so on.you'll get a template that lines up then position it using the masking tape and voila.drill away

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 03stage2 View Post
    I have a couple small projects going on with my 96 SL700.
    The second project is considering a new Impeller. squeeze out just over 50mph. .. I want to increase my top end. the reality question, if Im doing 50 with the stock impeller how fast can we get up to? What are my options?
    Thanks for the help!

50mph is pretty good for a 700,Do you have some pictures of the engine and jet pump ?
    I have a 96 SL 700 and got up to 52 mph on gps,after a bunch of factory Polaris parts

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    50mph is pretty good for a 700,Do you have some pictures of the engine and jet pump ?
    I have a 96 SL 700 and got up to 52 mph on gps,after a bunch of factory Polaris parts
    My ski is bored 20 over with Wiseco pistons, if that makes that huge of a difference...

Got the mirrors dry fit last night. I will be painting this evening, going to go with gloss white.

Any ideas about the impeller?

On a side note, I will also be painting the hideous purple trim with Krylon Fusion (Primer, paint, clear). Is this a bad idea with all the abuse the trim takes?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You may want to try Bull Dog as the primer. It allows paint to stick to plastics. Auto painters swear by it for plastic bumper covers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3459.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	150557  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 03stage2 View Post
    My ski is bored 20 over with Wiseco pistons, if that makes that huge of a difference...
    Any ideas about the impeller?

On a side note, I will also be painting the hideous purple trim with Krylon Fusion (Primer, paint, clear). Is this a bad idea with all the abuse the trim takes?
    With higher compression heads and larger carbs, I am able to run a 15/20 imp ,part #5131371 (came on 96 SLX780 & 96-97 SLT780,I think there is an tire long pump on e-bay ) . I'm also using an extended pump and ride plate.

I also painted my trim using Krylon,it holds up well with out clear.

Finally got rid of all that hideous purple! Mirrors painted and installed, and trim painted!

lookin good!

Thread Information