Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 SLT 780 LCD gauge question

Just bought the ski the original owner said the LCD gauge worked fine the last time he used it. Now nothing, the ski was jump starter a few times since the last known working of the LCD. My question, is there a fuse for the LCD or do they just completly go out. Nothing on the LCD seems to work not even the little red light when you connect power. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is a 1/4 Amp fuse inside the electrical box. Only replace with another 1/4 Amp fuse, not a higher rating.

Fuses can be found at Radio Shack.

Make sure there is no moisture or corrosion inside the electrical box.

If the battery was connected backwards at some time, that can damage the display module.

I learned the hard way how to take the box out. I am sure you are much brighter than me but just in case Take the 3 mount bolts out first, then the 6 holding the box together. (is your gage oval or round?). Mine had 2 fuses, 1 for bilge pump and another for the display. I had trouble finding the replacement fuse and had to order on line. If you have trouble let me know because I have several extra. Hope this helps. Oh, make sure you first dis-connect battery!

Thanks for your help. I'll be checking into the fuse tonight. I hope that is the problem.

MFD not working

Bought the correct fuse and replaced it in the electrical - nothing. Did a little trouble shooting - I do have power coming out of the red wire going into the MFD and the ground is good. I guess that says it all, the MFD is inop. Anyone with a cheap MFD for a 1996 SLT

I thinl you have to start the ski first before it will work? You might also try and "reset" it. Finally, before I spend $300, try to find the link that tells you how to repait it. If you have trouble finding it let me know. Stick with it. I did and saved that 300!

MFD link

Read over the stuff on the page/link below before throwing down 300 bucks. Make absolutely sure you have a good battery, and a good fuse. Try bumping the starter to "wake" the MFDm once the above is in place. If that stuff doesn't work, maybe someone reverse-connected during a jump and fried it.

the re-build instructions and trouble shooting and other good info are at the follwing link:

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....nction-display

good luck.

+1
    If it is working properly, the MFD should 'wake up' as soon as it gets power from the battery hook up.

When it goes to sleep after five minutes of no activity, the clock will continue to be visible.

When the engine cranks, the RPM signal wakes up the MFD.

Pressing the Mode button will also wake it up from sleep mode.

I am also trying to solve a nonfunctioning MFD on my 1996 Polaris SLT780. Your posts were helpful. I have taken apart the electrical box and removed the fuse for the MFD. It does not appear to be blown, but I can't tell for sure visually. Is there a way to check the fuse to see if it is blown? I'd like to check it before going to all the trouble of finding someone who sells such a small-amp fuse.

If it's not the fuse, is there any point in trying to get to the back of the MFD to see if the connection is loose? If so, how do I get access to the back of the MFD? Take apart the handlebar?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorey View Post
    I am also trying to solve a non-functioning MFD on my 1996 Polaris SLT780. Your posts were helpful.

I have taken apart the electrical box and removed the fuse for the MFD. It does not appear to be blown, but I can't tell for sure visually.

Is there a way to check the fuse to see if it is blown? I'd like to check it before going to all the trouble of finding someone who sells such a small-amp fuse.

If it's not the fuse, is there any point in trying to get to the back of the MFD to see if the connection is loose?

If so, how do I get access to the back of the MFD? Take apart the handlebar?
    Did you look here?

The fuse can be checked with an ohm-meter while it is out of the box. A good fuse will show zero ohms.

Or you can check for 12 volt power at each end of the installed fuse. Both ends of the fuse should have 12 volts (with the other other meter probe held on the back terminals).

The MFD can be eased out the front of the handlebar pad. The details are shown in the linked page

Check for battery power between the Red/Purple and Black wires of the connector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information