Replacing Impeller Myself

After a great day on the Jet Ski STX-15F I moronicly when shallow and my intake ingested rocks. Didn't realize just what I had done until I attempted a full throttle take off and what a noise...chilling.

I am pretty sure that my impeller is in pieces and am thinking about replacing it myself. I have minor mechanic experience...with that in mind is this reasonable.

Also, I have been using the stock impeller. Should I consider something else. My ski is a 2004 with 85 hours and I am the original owner.

What a pain. Finally I have time to really use it and I manage to break it.

DRS

dont beaqt yourself up over it... if its stainless SBT does prop replacement for $35 plush shipping costs.

if you want to get an aftermarket stainless impeller and bring that ski up to go a bit faster and more snappy try SS Solas or Skat Trak. all three make great impellers... i go with SS or Skat but i know people with solas who are quite satisfied.

i do not know what kind of a challenge it is to replace one on a STX-15F i have done several swaps on 440's, 550's and 650's. plus a few 300's..... not muhc of a big deal... first off pull off the rideplate and the intake grate. then dis-assemble the pump housing. (remove the pump from the shoe unless its one pice like a 650 sx) youll probably be able to pull the pump off and out of the ski... where you can look at your damage more closely.

IMO i think you are capable... but like i said... never done it on a STX-15F just older two strokes...

not going to be a one hour job ... thats a professionals time if not more for this... but i feel you can do it... im sure with some input from other STX-15F owners you can do it... refer to your manual on how to do everything ... i bet it has a section for removing the pump.

good luck and stay wet!

flyin p

flying P

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up the service manual. They recommend several custom tools put I am hoping to work around them. I have ordered the prop tool for the impeller removal. It looks like the pump may come out as a unit that I can work on.

Have to admit that I am getting kind of pumped up for doing this. Once I do this I think that I may try some mods for a few more mph's.

What did you mean with "if its stainless SBT does prop replacement for $35 plush shipping costs. "? My current impeller is stock...don't know if it is stainless or not.

Thanks
    DRS

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    flying P

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up the service manual. They recommend several custom tools put I am hoping to work around them. I have ordered the prop tool for the impeller removal. It looks like the pump may come out as a unit that I can work on.

Have to admit that I am getting kind of pumped up for doing this. Once I do this I think that I may try some mods for a few more mph's.

What did you mean with "if its stainless SBT does prop replacement for $35 plush shipping costs. "? My current impeller is stock...don't know if it is stainless or not.

Thanks
    DRS

as in if it is made from stainless... you can send in your with $35 and they will swap it out for an OEM stainless one of their own make and ship it back to you.... that way you do not have to replace it with another stock one for more money...

props aint cheap... around $100+ so to have a deal like that is amazing.

impeller swapping from SBT

turns out they have a special for $25. make sure to read the fine print.... haha

sounds like you got it under control... as my pops says... just dont hurt yourself with the power tools... AND NEVER FORCE ANYTHING. if it doesnt budge.... dont force it unless you know 100% what you're doing...

ive broken my fare share of parts that way.... needless to say ive learned my lesson and wont do that again... good thing they were stock parts and i had replacement aftermarket stuff....

but you are one step ahead of me in that you have a prop remover tool... i never bothered buying one hah!

Your going to need a prop tool for your bike and a vise no way around this, unless you plan on useing DYNAMITE>>>> Good luck..

+1
    I just want to warn you that if you don't get it put on right and it spins itself off while riding (trust me it happens) you can destroy your engine, I did. Make sure you use whatever it tells you to use when installing the new impeller (lok tite or whatever I don't remember). You also need to use a torque wrench so that you get it on tight enough. The impeller tool is really a must have and the holder helps. I actually take mine off and put it on with vise grips holding the shaft. Unfortunately the rocks might have screwed up your liner also but you will see when you get into it.

I am currently without a ski because I did my own impeller obviously not correctly. I would do a step by step but the manual will cover it and it isn't hard, but it does take muscle to get the one off sometimes.

Thanks For The Input!

All,

I really appreciate the input, especially about the swap program and the prop tool. I have ordered my prop tool and a mechanic buddy of mine has offered to help.

Sounds like I am ready to go...first we are going to take the prop and impeller apart/off and then remove the pump. From there we will be able to see the full extent of the damage. I am crossing my fingers that I didn't hose up the engine.

Thanks!

Don S. (DRS)

I had to replace my impeller on my 2000 900STX(which is real close to the same as yours) As everyone else said...THE IMPELLER TOOL IS A MUST. Taking the pump apart is not bad. The pump will slip out of the housing with a rearward pull leaving the pump mounting frame & the drive shaft exposed. Taking the actual pump apart requires you to remove the rear cone so you can get to the impeller shaft. You put this exposed shaft into a vise & procede to wrench off the impeller with the special tool & a breaker bar. It can be a bitch to break it loose for it's very tight. After the impeller is off the shaft will come out from the cone side of the pump. Now you can check the bearings & seals for water damage. Actually it's not a bad idea to just replace these for good measure since it's apart anyway.

Take detailed notes or pics on how the seals & 2 bearings are positioned so it will come in handy when re-installing them later. Also get you some good marine grade grease for repacking later. Kawasaki usually is real stingey with their grease at the factory. (mine had very little) I packed the whole cavity with grease when i put mine back together. The bearings are sealed so the grease is mostly there to deny space for water to seep in. Some people opt for the "wet-mod" in which the inward facing sides of the dust caps of the bearings are poped off & the whole cavity is filled with 80-90? wt. gear oil. This way the bearings are bathed in gear oil all the time. Some say you can get 1/2 to 1 mph faster with this. IMO it's not worth it...since you will need to service this pump at least once a year. Your liner may need to be honed just to smooth it out. My liner was scored badly due to a bad bearing that had wore out due to water getting into it. This allowed the impeller to wallow about inside the liner causing damage in addition to gravel ingestion damage.

Also while apart you need to address any damage to the static vanes in the pump housing. If gouged or otherwise damaged, you can fill in the bad spots with a aluminum welder & reshape with a dermel tool. You also need to make sure you reinstall the impeller per specs. You don't want it to spin loose while your on the water. While it's true that the torque of the engine will tighten the impeller, slowing down suddenly will do the opposite...so make sure it's torqued down good.

All in all my rebuild cost me about $120...that's the impeller exchange, rebuild kit(new bearings & seals) & tube of green marine grease. I just cleaned up the liner & went with it as it was. It was somewhat out of spec, but a rebuilt one or new one costs $100s of bucks. Mine, after repacing the impeller performs 95%ish compared to a brand new one...good enuff for me.!!!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    From the sounds of it you probably did more damage then just to the impellar (I doubt you did an engine damage though), If i were you Id send it to Impros.com and let Dave work his magic.....he can flow it and replace the bearings and rebuild your stock prop with a lil tweaking( if you have any or no mods he can pitch it accordingly) to it for @300-400 depending on the damage.......get it apart and give him a call and post some poics and go from there...............

Success!

Today my buddy and I put the ski in the garage and pulled the pump and impeller. It turns out that rocks had jammed the impeller and bent the end blades slightly. We cleaned it out and reassembled it. Flushed it to ensure that the cooling system was good.

Once done we took it out to the local reservior and it ran great. My fears of destroying the engine were not realized and everything is good.

Thanks all for you comments and support. The encouragement was really useful.

Don S.

Thread Information