Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Group meeting on the 19th NYC harbor

All,
    Rumor has it there is a gaggle of people(from another group) meeting up at the statue of liberty on the 19th. I have not been in the NY harbor all season(insert excuses here) Sadly, i must admint this will be my first and last time this season. If there is anyone interested... all you have to do is show up.

Tell em have fun the only receptive party was NJ State Police, Coast Guard chased us off at Independence saying we got to close, a couple skis were inside the 500' zone however they didnt say anything to the 30' boat that was only about 200' feet out. Then again at Liberty saying we got to close. Finally NYPD got pissy when we stopped to wait for everyone to catch up off Pier 17 in the East River.

Glad I don't live there! Enjoy the ride some great sites but be fore warned the law doesn't seam to like large groups of jet skis.

+1

Re: Group meeting on the 19th NYC harbor

I would prob be interested in doing this if we get some Greenhulk guys. I'm looking for a ride that Saturday and NYC is what I'd like to do. What do you say guys??

+1
    All,
    Well i hope that we dont run into any of the authorities.There is always person in the lot who likes to push the envelope- that person will be made an example out of what not too do. Yes we all know that security is tight around the statue and the cruise ships, although in FLA I have seen pleasure boats and ski's so close to the ships that it aint even funny. I have also seen the Homeland security boats there too... all i can say is be careful and have a good time! if you want to test the Authorites go ahead.. I'll watch from here..

Yeah, they definitely don't mess around near the Statue of LIberty. Note to all: DO NOT GO ANY CLOSER THAN THE WHITE BUOYS. I had no idea - they aren't exactly marked or anything....they just look like normal white buoys.... Well I was just trying to take a photo and I must've been in a little too close for comfort. The Coast Guard was there in a FLASH with their clipboard out and some crazy a$$ machine gun thing on the front of the boat. I think they were ready to write me a ticket. But, I just 'killed them with kindness', apologized, and said I honestly didn't know. They wrote down my registration and reminded me 'they'd be around all afternoon'. Ooooops!!

As a former merchant marine and tugboat enginner in ny harbor , just be careful and mind full of the tugs barges ferry etc. I've actually come along side of seen a few of my friends..

The couple of times that i have riden in the city have been on week days and never was once harassed. except when i took our ski's all the way into the pier next to the sub at the interpid... ( they didn't like that at all)
    just got yelled at from the pier.. so i smiled waved and left.. ( can't hear a think when your engine is running.) oh yeah def stay far away from the cruise ships as well.

any way. i've spent time chilling off south street .. and two feet off the battery ... even sprayed some joggers...

becarefull of every ones fishing poles esp.. in the upper east river around gracie mansion.

hopefully my ski will be ready by then ... maybe ill make the trip out.. i've even drop my ski in at worlds fair marina ... the website says nothing about jet ski's but the sign there says no jet skis.... during the week no one was there to stop us .. so i dropped it in any way ...

Keep me posted on what every one is doing ... I wish I got together with people this summer.. Its been a strange one this year .. not alot of riding ...

lots of typos .. buts its late... sorry...

+1
    hehehehe
    typos schympos,

No worries!! we all understood loud and clear.... well I guess we are all in a diffrent time now... and that calls for diffrent thinking... or not... I'll keep in mind what Tina said... just smile and go the kindness routine...
    Like i said the Jetty jumpers group will be hosting their last Harbor ride of the season. The group will gather around 12 PM by the Statue.They will go up the river over and back down to end at that snack place that everyone knows...

+1
    Snack place is The Sand Bar in Jersey City, but I believe its closed. Been out to the Statue many times this year seen the authorities and have never been bothered. Last trip was the final day of the Barclay Golf Tournament in Jersey City lots of skis around and no problems. The only advice I can give is stay clear of those white buoys and ride with common sense obeying the rules, with that said its no problem.

+1
    don't forget all your paper work, always the possibility of being boarded for a routine safety and document check. That happens all over not just in the Hudson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information