Foam in hull works -- water up over top of engine today....

Found out the foam does its job today.. was out on the lake for a couple hours when i noticed the back of the ski sitting low in the water-- opened her up and noticed water so took off to shore... didn't get far when she just sputtered and died and i felt myself sinking fast!!! i thought for sure she was goign to the bottom of the lake...luckily my brother was on another ski so we towed her in --- slowly... the weight was killing the gp800. took the seat off and water was over the engine to the edge of the cowling --even to the top edge of the battery! ... after getting back on the trailer couldn't find any hoses off... possibly this c-clamp thing i saw mentioned ? when we looked at the drive shaft the seal/clamp was forward a bit, i'm assuming this is where water came in... taking to the dealer tomorrow.... tonight spent hours getting water out of the cylinders// but there's water in the oil. attaching a pic of where we think the water was coming in... i'm just glad i wasnt a few miles offshore in the ocean this was enough of a scare.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forward_120.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	476  

+1
    WOW Chris; Good thing you didn't ride with us on the St Johns River today...you maight have "sunk" way out in the middle of nowhere !!

Hope you didn't do any damage to the engine, better fresh water than salt.

Richard

Can you move the S/S piece forward by hand?
    We had this samething happen last weekend, the C-Clip came loose and the ski filled up with water, ordered a bearing kit from PPG to replace this piece, cannot afford to loose one of these skis.
    I removed the Intake, valve cover and flushed the motor with diesel and changed oil and filter twice and manage to get all the water out.

+1
    Doe anyone know of a way to test whether the carbon ring is litting water in without putting the ski in the water? I ask because I am about to put my engine back in, and I would like to make sure that area is water tight before putting it in the lake. If not, it looks like I will know soon enough if water is coming in there with a seat-off test run.

+1
    Franko, while your engine is out you should do what jerry did to his pump shoe and reinforce the fiber glass around the thru-hull carrier bearing.

If you want to test it, once the drive shaft and engine are back in, just fill the hull up with water up and over the ring. If it's leaking you'll see it outside the ski.

Guys, What I believe is happening is the aftermarket and home made air intakes are touching and appling preasure to the boot that holds the SS piece to the carbon ring on the driveshaft. This will cause the carbon ring to wear uneven or enough pressure will push it apart and water will gush in. Every time I reassemble mine I run something thin between the boot and air intake to make certain nothing is touching the boot.

David

+1
    Mike, I would like to do what Jerry did, but I know nothing about working with fiberglass. But I might look for a shop that can do it while there's no engine in the hull.

+1
    Frank, i would do it. It could save yourself some heartache in the future.

Thread Information