Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Poor Intake Design

Im building my first 4tech motor. I have built many supercharged V8s and many drag bike motors and was taken back by the intake design of the supercharged 4 tech. It seems like a flow nighmare the way the IC fits inside and the runners feed through. Is anyone making a alumnum intake that does away with the factory IC for these? Anyone have any experience on a flowbench with the stock intake?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Danny... where are you

Most people pull the factory IC and add an external unit.

Air flow work by one of the members on the common intakes

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...+numbers+danny

Banned User
    +1
    These motors are designed to run specific boost, rpm, and torque range. Unlike a land based vehicle, which has a transmission, PWC are direct drive. You need an intake system that has long intake runners to help low end torque, yet small enough to promote high RPM, AND be able to fit within the tight compartment area.

If you look at the intake as a whole, you will notice the runners are tappered as they get closer to the intake port...PLUS the opening of the runner is flared to promote better flow.

Many have tried to make an aluminum intake (myself included) and its TOUGH. You must get the plenum/runner length correct or you will limit the motor to specific rpm/power range...Pics of the upper part of the manifold taken apart can be found here...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93690

Check this thread, as I have flowed everything from intake to exhaust, the whole system...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97790

+1
    I read the thread and saw the intake you built-very nice-looked labor intensive! How did it turn out? Did it do what you were looking for?

+1
    One more. What about removing the stock IC and using a separate air to water IC, doen any flow testing on the stock intake with and without the stock IC installed?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    I read the thread and saw the intake you built-very nice-looked labor intensive! How did it turn out? Did it do what you were looking for?
    Works fine, response is great. Racers have been modifying theirs like this for a few years now...

Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    One more. What about removing the stock IC and using a separate air to water IC, doen any flow testing on the stock intake with and without the stock IC installed?
    Flow data of what you ask is in the link I posted earlier...

Thats pretty much standard affair. External liquid/air IC's are what we all switch to. HECK, even SeaDoo went with an external setup back in 08 for the X models...Its now standard on some of their boats.

+1
    Ok-I opened the can of worms so lets keep it going. All the work I have done on supercharged auto motors the exhaust was as important-more important than the intake design. The forced air coming in ogvercame a lot of shortcomings in the intake flow area-but you had to be able to evacuate it through the exhaust-hence-very important to have a good flowing exhaust. Anyone experimenting with the exhaust manifold? Ide love to build a equal lenght header sytem for this motor-but what about the water cooling? Is there a way around it? Is it to help keep exhaust heat inn the compartment down-to evacuate heated water from the hull- or both?

+1
    do a search for the black magic header

Banned User
    +1
    YUP, exhaust has been covered...

The limiting factor in exhaust setups for PWC, especially with the motors we run, is cooling...So things need to be waterjacketed, and with space at a premium, its TOUGH....

But its been done, attempted, etc...and if it don't work, we build somethign different...There have been many designs, both with success and failure. The most common stuff is available through Jerry's store (link in upper left hand side, http://www.4-tecperformance.com )

Check out the link to Jerry's store, it has all the current setups we all generally use...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information